Official Review: Starfall by Drew Harrison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: A Forgotten Door Called Home by Rev. Cheryl Kincaid

Official Review: Starfall by Drew Harrison

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Starfall" by Drew Harrison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Starfall by Drew Harrison tells a compelling story of a city called New Phoenix, named after a bird that rose from the ashes, a scenario perfectly describing its history and past adversities. New Phoenix was being controlled in basically every sector by Vitacorps (extra-government cooperation).

Hannah Preacher is hoping to know what killed her lover, Quaine O' Connor (believed to have been killed by Vitacorps for the truth that he knows). She partners with city police agents Sam Pollock and Rob Boardsmith to unveil a web of murder, exploitations, cruelty, and sickness. Agents of Vitacorps were constantly pursuing them.

Vitacorps endows its agents (also called light benders) with superhuman abilities to further their aim of suppressing, controlling, and dominating. 43 percent of Vitacorps light benders were indebted servants paying off life debts. Braxton Graves (the Hunter) is one of those light benders. Braxton was dead for a few minutes before he was saved by Clive Avery, the COO of Vitacorps. The Hunter wears a black leather hood and adds a tally to his battery pack for each soul he kills.

Will Hannah deliver New Phoenix from the control of Vitacorps?

The book tells the story of victims of injustice and cruelty in the highest form and the hope for tomorrow, as shown by Rob Boardsmith's words, "we don't win today, but there's always tomorrow."

The incidents of the story are wholly absorbing. An example is the arrest of Bev Beedie — issuing her a life debt of 3.15 trillion credits, surgically placing an implant in her womb and her long term in prison. The level of cruelty in this book is unthinkable.

My favorite character in the book is Hannah Preacher. Her character portrays what love is meant to be. She remained loyal to the course of finding out what killed her lover. Braxton was also intrigued by her kind of love, being that his fiancée got engaged to another person shortly after he died.

The book is packed with suspense. The author had complete control of his story and style. The final unveiling of the characters climaxes naturally in scenes of violence. The author is generous enough to include detailed explanations of scientific terms used in the book, providing an opportunity for readers to make sense of their usage. I must commend the author for the detailed description of the fight scenes — they felt real.

As much as I enjoyed the read, I didn't like that the details about what later happened to The Basilisk were not so clear. I struggled to wrap my head around it, but I was still left with so many unanswered questions.

I'm rating the book four out of four stars. The errors are minimal, and the issue I raised isn't enough to take the book to the gallows. I recommend this book to young and old lovers of superhuman heroism, adventure, and new technologies that empower people to do things that seem impossible.

Starfall
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

This book sounds perfect for a thrilling, nerve chilling read. Hunter being brought back from the dead and Hannah's loyalty will make a good story to read. Thanks for a great review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s incredible that a story so clearly fiction can have some real moments of injustice that makes it feel closer to reality. Thanks for the great review
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

A really powerful story told in a unique way. Thanks for the good review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a terrific science fiction thriller that uses superheroes to address important issues that exist today. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

It's the cover picture for me. This appears to be a great book. Thank you for your review.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

I admire the heroics of Hannah Preacher. I'd love to know what became of her at the end. Great review.
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

Leaving a reader in suspense is frustrating but also drives the reader to think further of the author's motives and could open a huge area of possibility. Would love to read this book and think from a different perception. Thank you or the review.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It can often be frustrating when the resolution of plot points is convoluted or hazy, at least for me, and it sounds like at least one in this book was just that. However, there is often just no solid way to wrap up something unless the author uses deus ex machina, and that can be just as frustrating. Awesome review. Thank you.
meghamujalde028
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by meghamujalde028 »

This is a amazing book, with full of suspence and making all frustration about what happens next. This is out of imagination which attract the readers.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

This is great review! I would definitely like to read Starfall and since your review is so great about the book I think the storyline of the book would be amazing. Thank you for sharing this impressive review!
Last edited by Kanchan Bhil on 03 Jun 2021, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

The book seems extremely passionate in addressing real life situations in a way that makes it interesting to read. Thanks for the review!
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

Quite a passionate review that goes to express the involvement of the reviewer in the story that goes as deep as an emotional attachment. A truly superb review. :tiphat:
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”