Review by Anthony__ -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review by Anthony__ -- Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker talked about the journey of a group of people to a land characterized by strange and unusual things. This fictional novel contains the themes of love, unity, and adventure.

The book was divided into three parts. Part One focused on how Grant Taylor came to Russia to inherit the properties of his supposed dead uncle, Randall. It also explained how he began an investigation on his death and how Uncle Boris and Max Volkov gathered people to plan another expedition to Zona. Part Two gave an account of their journey to Zona and their experiences until they got to Sheba Pass. Finally, in Part Three, the author talked about how they had befriended the wolves. He also enlightened us about their research on the environment, how they finally came into Zona and their constant search for Randall. Read up on this book to find out more about Randall’s disappearance.

This is one of the best science fiction novels I have ever read. The author’s inclusion of maps, a list of personnel, and the story’s presentation from the first-person narrative made it very relatable. As a lover of adventurous stories, I was immediately drawn into their experiences. I could feel the attack by wolves and lions and their adaptability to their new environment. The idea of wolves communicating with Grant Taylor and some other humans was also thrilling.

The characters and the plot flowed well, which enhanced my reading experience. I got used to terms like Compass, Marshland, and GLONASS System. Fred G. Baker employed simple diction and a unique style of writing. Even the unusual and uncommon terminologies were still simple to understand. The characterization, the bond, teamwork, and the emergence of a rebel brought out the book's beauty. Reading this book was an excellent experience.

My favorite character is Max Volkov because of his qualities. He was a perfect leader; he was a strict, disciplined, attentive, and friendly person. His ability to perfectly manifest these behaviors when needed was what intrigued me. I also enjoyed Lada as a character. Her understanding and the connection she shared with Grant Taylor were quite admirable.

I must warn the audience that there is quite a level of erotic scenes and several instances of profanity. Therefore, I would recommend this book to adult readers who love fantasy and adventurous stories.

I only encountered a very few grammatical errors, which did not hamper the sweet flow of my reading. That depicts that the book’s editing was professionally done. Therefore, it deserves a perfect rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Besides that, I found the book very creative and unique. The excitement and actions are one of a kind. And there is absolutely nothing to dislike about the book.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amelia-Lily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

There was never a time while reading this book that I had even the slightest regret for picking it up. It was superb all through.
Ozoab1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozoab1.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ozoab1 »

I fell in love with this right from the first page. Your review has given a new view towards this book. Great review.
Ilze Herholdt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Salt of the Earth
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilze-herholdt.html
Latest Review: Healing Wounds of the Soul by Elizabeth Campos

Post by Ilze Herholdt »

I liked this book a lot. It was interesting, adventurous and deceptive in some ways. Thanks for the review.
Kelvin Modilim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvin-modilim.html
Latest Review: Sound of Redemption by William John Rostron

Post by Kelvin Modilim »

I appreciated the book's emphasis on the protagonist's personal growth and transformation as they navigate the challenges and revelations of the forbidden land.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”