Official Review: Guardians of the Solar Shield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Official Review: Guardians of the Solar Shield

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guardians of the Solar Shield" by Sam Bleicher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardians of the Solar Shield by Sam Bleicher is a Sci-Fi/Fantasy set in 2032. Most events occur in New York, but some events will also occur in Wuhan and Moscow. Living in a world in which the effects of global warming have already caused permanent damage to several ecosystems and cities, world authorities have decided to launch the Solar Shield Project, which are mirrors that delay the effects of global warming.

Although built with a humanitarian purpose in mind, the SSP mirror system was built in a hurry without considering some economic and social aspects. Although some climate activists look with disdain at the economy, the impact of the mirror shadows on tropical tourism could ruin entire countries and leave populations in a state of misery. Based on this possibility, the World Bank Vice-Presidency in Washington decides to intervene to help a specific country. The problem is that the change in the "perpendicular deviation" of mirrors should not benefit any particular country. The United Nations must be unbiased, and the plot develops from the discovery of favoritism and hackers trying to change the position of mirrors to make extortion.

One aspect that stands out in this book is character development. The author has successfully created three-dimensional characters that are trustworthy and consistent with their personalities and aspirations. The book has three main characters: Robert Fauré, Commander of the SSPC (UN Space Shield Project Command), Sanjay Bhattachar Jay, Executive Assistant to Commander Fauré) and Kelly O'Rourke, SSPC Officer, a former female officer of the Irish Air Force. Fauré is the most powerful character since he makes the most critical decisions, but he has an internal conflict and always has to seek a middle ground solution between doing what is suitable and possible. Jay is the subordinate who does not allow anything to hinder the performance of his duties. Kelly is a brilliant and talented newcomer, but she is also erratic and often lets her feelings take over.

Another aspect worthy of praise is the author's knowledge of lobbying activities and economics. Sam Bleicher is a graduate of Harvard Law School and Northwestern University, Phi Beta Kappa with Honors in Economics. Many authors try to venture into the fantastic world of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but in most cases, the plot seems too absurd even for a literary genre that has to cope with the absurd and supernatural. This book, however, appears to be a reliable continuation of the current reality. I didn't find anything negative to mention. There is only one insignificant grammatical error. The book was read and reread and had the help of a professional.

All things considered, Guardians of the Solar Shield deserves four out of four stars. This witty, thought-provoking, and spectacular work has no apparent flaw. There is no reason not to give it the perfect score. I recommend it to all those who love Sci-Fi/Fantasy and are interested in global warming.

Guardians of the Solar Shield
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I commend the author for creating realistic and genuine characters. A flat character can take away so much from the story. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the kind of novel you hope is science fiction but fear is far too close to reality, which happens when a story is well constructed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It seems like something that could easily happen. The global warming-themed books can be considered sci-fi to us now but the reality of all is that will become and is a current issue. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Fauré is the most powerful character since he makes the most critical decisions, but he has an internal conflict and always has to seek a middle ground solution between doing what is suitable and possible. Jay is the subordinate who does not allow anything to hinder the performance of his duties. Kelly is a brilliant and talented newcomer, but she is also erratic and often lets her feelings take over.
Too bad. I would've liked to see a male character be the emotional one, instead of the author falling into the cliche of women being erratic and dominated by their feelings.
Another aspect worthy of praise is the author's knowledge of lobbying activities and economics. Sam Bleicher is a graduate of Harvard Law School and Northwestern University, Phi Beta Kappa with Honors in Economics. Many authors try to venture into the fantastic world of Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but in most cases, the plot seems too absurd even for a literary genre that has to cope with the absurd and supernatural. This book, however, appears to be a reliable continuation of the current reality.
That's what's scary! I can see how the author's expertise provides an accurate narrative but climate change is a very real threat that makes me anxious.

A great, analytical review. Thanks.
Crescent Gold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Crescent Gold »

I commend the authnr for creating a realistic and genuine character. Thanks for your great review.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

It sounds like a great story combining possible future events and science fiction. I just don't understand why Wuhan should play a role in the book as I am a bit tired of reading stories linked to the current pandemic.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I am not an avid fan of sci-fi/fantasy books, but this one sounds intriguing. Not so long ago, the year 2032 sounded far away, but not so much now! With all the things that happen in our world now, such as superstorms, multiple volcanic eruptions, and earthquakes like never seen before, and the effects of global warming, we are suddenly living in what we used to think of as science fiction! Thanks for the great review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Aashu Chaudhary
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aashu-chaudhary.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Aashu Chaudhary »

Global warming is a big concern. Even being aware of the consequences people still consider it adjustable. Hopefully, after reading the book reader will have the chance to have some closer.
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

Global warming is indeed a serious problem. The characters appear to be well developed as said. The plot is intriguing involving world politics and the UN. Thanks for the review.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Looks like the author is very knowledgeable in this subject. This book sounds exciting. Its setting is in the not too distant future and the topic is relevant. Thanks for your review.
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

This certainly looks like a thought-provoking story, although the character of Kelly I found to be unappealing. When I read the title and the short synopsis, I thought I might like this book. So far, it has not lived up to expectations. Thanks for the concise review on this book.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

With everything happening in the world, it’ll only take a while before the things we read in books become our reality. The issue of global warming is such a concern and I hope we are able to control it in the long run. This book sounds out of this world (get it?🌝) and your review did justice to it!
Jorge Leon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

A science fiction / fantasy book set in 2032. It explores subjects related to the effects of global warming. The plot revolves around a Project, which world authorities devised to delay the effects of global warming. It seems to have overtones of political intrigue and technological hacking.
Bombasticsideeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stella-bereebera.html
Latest Review: Not Dead Yet by Mark Fletcher

Post by Bombasticsideeye »

Thank you for the review. I find intrigueing the fact that the book seems to be a continuation of the present reality. Global warming is having devastating effects around the world, and it would be interesting to read the author's take on where this could lead us in the future.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”