Official Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Strange Stories II" by Roger Mannon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Strange Stories II: The Empty Earth is written by Roger Mannon. This fictional book comprises three short stories. The stories were inspired by the author’s concern over climate change and its effects on future generations. The author was also inspired after watching the television series, “The Walking Dead.” The book can be described as a horror and a sci-fi novel.

The first story, “Alone,” centres around William Leroy Brown. He and his best friend, Pete, studied at the same university. Both studied Earth Sciences and volunteered to go on an expedition to Siberia to collect soil and air samples to see how climate change has impacted the permafrost. On their return, they bring back a deadly virus that spreads around the world with a 99% mortality rate. William flees his home and travels through the USA to find a safe place to exist. The third story, “Tipping Point,” also explores the worst-case scenario of climate change. A father and son find a cave high up Mount Williams, with a plan to live there when the world becomes uninhabitable because of the effects of climate change. They have the advantages of survival skills and forward-thinking to help them exist as the world ends.

The second story, “A Ghost Story,” has a different theme and is a tale about what happens after death. Ghosts, souls, and multiverses are present in this thought-provoking story of life after death. The principal character has vague memories of his life but realises he has died. He searches for answers to this other spiritual existence and desires to find more souls like himself.

The subject of climate change is described in the book. The stories are a worst-case scenario of what could happen if this issue isn’t addressed. The author uses researched facts, such as increased global warming and the melting of permafrost in areas such as Siberia and Alaska, to show the impact of climate change. I thought the stories gave the reader a lot to reflect upon as they gave an insight into the possible destruction of the world. The stories educate the reader as well as providing captivating stories.

I enjoyed the author’s writing style and found the stories excellent at building up tension. I loved the sense of adventure of the characters, as they were fighting for survival in an increasingly lonely and harsh environment. The stories captured how debilitating loneliness can be and how humans are designed to have companions. One of my favourite parts of the first story is the connection between the lead character and a dog he encounters on his journey. This dog becomes his only friend and salvation and shows what powerful connections humans can have with animals.

I liked a comparison made in the book about the COVID-19 pandemic. In the first story, fake news and conspiracy theories are included, which leads to anger and violence. The author compares this to some media we have seen through this last year and is a stark reminder of how being misinformed can cause implications to the harmony of populations. I enjoyed how the author has woven these current issues into his stories and gives another opportunity for reflection.

I found only one spelling and grammar mistake in the book, which did not detract from my enjoyment, so I believe the book is exceptionally edited. There was nothing I disliked about the three short stories. I loved the author’s writing style as he created powerful imagery. I could imagine the stories adapted for television programmes or movies. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars, and it will appeal to readers who enjoy the horror/sci-fi genre. I recommend the book for adult readers as the subject is quite dark, and there are profanities present.

Strange Stories II
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

This book seems interesting. Thanks for the review! I don't often read books comprised of short stories, but maybe one day I'll try this one out. :)
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

Books with such cataclysmic plots seem to be especially popular at a time of pandemic. Thanks for the good review, definitely arouse interest in the book.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

The title indicates that this book is a second installment. I'm intrigued by the ghost stories. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the review!
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. This book is right up my alley with the horror and sci-fi genres. The three short stories also seem interesting with their trending concepts, such as climate change or a dangerous virus.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Alone, Tipping Point and A Ghost Story are title that go with the cover. It has the horror feel o it and climate change is turning into one as humans exploit nature more. Thank you for a great review!
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

A very unique to address the issue of climate change. Seems like a nice read. Thank you for your honest review!!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

An interesting combination of stories. I’d be interested in seeing how each one plays out. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The stories seem quite dark, so I need to be in the right mood to read them, but they seem interesting and make me curious about them. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sneha H M
Currently Reading: Strange Stories II
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sneha H M »

This book seems interesting , I'm going to read this one
Michelle Menezes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

While I enjoy horror and science-fiction novels, I'm not very keen on reading about climate change. However, 'A Ghost story' sounds interesting, so I'll have a look at that. Great job on the review!
Peter Chanda
Currently Reading: The way of kings
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Peter Chanda »

This book seems interesting, addressing the impact of climate change in a unique way, I will read this one.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The concept of climate change in horror stories seem like an unique approach.

Thank you for the great review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

You're right that animals can be excellent companions, which makes it especially sad that we are destroying not only our home but theirs. The topic of climate change and the impact of misinformation, though true and important, is too anxiety-inducing for me to choose to read a book about it.
Thank you for your fantastic review.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

The worst-case scenario in climate change may sound like a great idea for a horror story but sadly it is our reality. Not my genre but I'm sure another reader will enjoy it. Great job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”