Review by HummingMarie -- Wasting Time by Mike Murphey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HummingMarie
Currently Reading: Taking Time
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hummingmarie.html
Latest Review: Wasting Time by Mike Murphey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by HummingMarie -- Wasting Time by Mike Murphey

Post by HummingMarie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wasting Time" by Mike Murphey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wasting Time: a Tale of Physics, Lust and Greed Book 2 by Mike Murphey is the second book in this series. The book starts with a few chapters devoted to events that happened in the first book. The main characters are stuffed into new roles that they do not want but find necessary. Marta has taken on a new role as administrator and tries to juggle several areas of her life. She has to keep Marshall out of active traveler status, jump through government hoops, keep information hidden, and keep tabs on the other universes. Marshall is dismayed that the search for Shiela appears to be on the back burner. He struggles to navigate the muddy waters of his relationship with Marta and keep secrets from the government inspectors. While battling their own struggles, Marta and Marshall must help the team figure out how their time travel may have played a part in the destruction of another universe. Also added to their pile of things to figure out is how to communicate with their counterparts in the parallel universes so that they can work together to prevent catastrophes or meddling in either of their universes.

This book was a joy to read. The physics lingo is very sparse but placed appropriately within the storyline. Even though this is science fiction, the situations and struggles that the characters find themselves in are believable, relatable, and have very appropriate reactions. The characters were wide-ranging in their emotional, social, and professional aspects, but I felt connected to all of them at various points throughout the book.

On the digital copy, the line spacing varies between paragraphs in random places in the text. In 353 pages, there were only a handful of typos. These were drawbacks but caused minimal distractions from the story and the experience.

I give Wasting Time: a Tale of Physics, Lust and Greed Book 2 by Mike Murphey 4 out of 4 stars. This is one of the best books I have read in a while and I enjoyed reading it. The writing style flowed and the physics language was not overwhelming. The storyline was exciting and had elements of suspense, humor, and romance all rolled together. I cannot wait for the release of the third book.

I would recommend Wasting Time: a Tale of Physics, Lust and Greed Book 2 by Mike Murphey to readers age 17+ that enjoy science fiction. Because of the frequent profanity and sexual content, I would not recommend it for younger readers and hopefully, the title gives a hint as to the more mature content of the book. While I think that Mike Murphey does a great job of giving some information at the beginning, it would be beneficial to read the first book in the series.

Wasting Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”