Official Review: Sessions With the Seer, revised edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Official Review: Sessions With the Seer, revised edition

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sessions With the Seer, revised edition" by David M Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sessions with the Seer, Revised Edition by David Taylor is the story of Pedro Perez and his family. The story starts with Pedro and his wife standing on the roof discussing their future. Suddenly, a pendant attached to a bracelet chain falls from the sky and lands at their feet. The pendant is glowing green and contains symbols that they have never seen before. Pedro and his family take the pendant to a seer named Dona Galleta. The seer claims to be able to see sixty years into the future with the pendant. She talks of a spacecraft that travels to distant planets. She claims to be able to connect to the crew members of the unique solar-powered spacecraft. Is the seer actually able to do as she claims? How is this connected to Pedro and his family?

There are some positive aspects to this book. The story is an unpredictable adventure. Every time I thought I knew where the story was headed, I was suddenly pulled in a totally different direction. I enjoyed the unexpected twists. I also enjoyed some of the playful banter between Pedro’s family members. They bicker often, but they clearly care for each other. This made the family likable and relatable. They are a very close family that spends a lot of time together. Pedro is a very likable character. He is a loving and thoughtful family man.

Although I enjoyed the way Pedro and his family interacted, I feel there was way too much pointless dialogue. At one point, the family is discussing going to see the seer for about twenty pages before they even leave the house. Some of this meaningless conversation could be removed. This would move the story along at a faster pace, and it would help to keep the reader interested. The author also gives too much detail about the spacecraft and how it works. The descriptions are long and repetitive.

Overall, this book was an enjoyable story. This revised edition seems well-edited, but it is full of dialogue that is oddly written. At times, it is difficult to tell if the author intentionally had the characters speak in broken English, or if it was an editing error. I found this mildly frustrating. For the reasons mentioned above, I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to readers that enjoy science fiction stories. This book would also be enjoyable for readers that like time travel stories. There is very little profanity or sexual content, so this book would be suitable for young adults as well.

Sessions With the Seer, revised edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Unnecessarily extended dialogue is always a hit frustrating. I hope the author can make the story more concise because it sounds like the plot of really interesting. Thanks for the honest review
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

Booklover Becca wrote: 08 May 2021, 09:07 Unnecessarily extended dialogue is always a hit frustrating. I hope the author can make the story more concise because it sounds like the plot of really interesting. Thanks for the honest review
I agree! It was an enjoyable story. Thanks for your comment.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel that contains some interesting elements, but I see why you think that there's too much dialogue breaking the pace. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”