Official Review: Journals of the Earth Guardians

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Journals of the Earth Guardians

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Journals of the Earth Guardians" by L.C Webb.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first humans created had powers and knowledge to take care of the planet. Their abilities to control the elements were passed down from generation to generation. They are called the Guardians. The Darkman, a mysterious and powerful man, is hunting them down to use their powers for his benefit. Only a few remain free and underground. Alex Woods, an Animal Guardian, is one of those exceptions. Lila Winters, a young and married mother of two, is another Guardian, but she does not know it. Bluey, a half-robot bird, and Alex track Lila down to recruit her to save the other Guardians. When Lila finds out who she is and the extraordinary abilities she has, her life changes forever.

Written by L.C Webb, Journals of the Earth Guardians is a science fiction and fantasy novel consisting of 456 pages. It is also the first book in the series of the same name. Primary and secondary characters, like Lila, Alex, Matt, and Adela, narrate the story. Precisely, the reader has access to the characters' journals as they experience the story's missions and events. This writing technique allows the reader to enter the mindset of all the significant characters and is particularly effective during action scenes and suspenseful moments.

My favorite aspect of this book is that it is full of action and suspense. Lila is not your typical woman. She has outstanding powers and can fight like an unyielding ninja. Her father is a general, which brutally shaped her personality. Alex is not that different from Lila in the sense that he is also a formidable fighter. They are a team to be wary of, and I enjoyed their dynamic as I followed their missions, such as tracking down Adela and unmasking the Darkman.

Furthermore, Lila is married to Matt, which makes her relationship with Alex a bit perplexing. Readers can expect to encounter a love triangle of some sort in this story. She loves her husband, a sexy scientist, but one is left wondering why she has such a deep connection with Alex. I hope the author dwells more on this situation in the following books.

I also enjoyed learning about the Guardians' different kinds of abilities. The author did a great job portraying their powers in action scenes. Examples are that I could imagine Adela manipulating water to attack others, and I could see Jennifer starting fires.

Without a doubt, I rate Journals of the Earth Guardians by L.C Webb 4 out of 4 stars. There is nothing I disliked about this book, and it is well-edited. I found less than 10 grammatical errors in the book, which is excellent considering it is long. I recommend it to readers who enjoy science fiction and fantasy novels full of action. I would read the following books in the series. More than that, this book series could be adapted into a film or TV series.

Journals of the Earth Guardians
View: on Bookshelves
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m excited to read about the action scenes. I love when character have supernatural abilities and I’d like to see how the author expresses those in fighting. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel full of actions where the protagonists show their abilities. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Lila Ilak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-ilak.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Lila Ilak »

I love this review, but especially that main character has my name, which I never see. Immediately put it on my TBR!
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Booklover Becca wrote: 08 May 2021, 09:24 I’m excited to read about the action scenes. I love when character have supernatural abilities and I’d like to see how the author expresses those in fighting. Thanks for the great review!
The action is constant! Thanks for stopping by! :D
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

NetMassimo wrote: 09 May 2021, 08:58 This seems like an engaging novel full of actions where the protagonists show their abilities. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Something is always happening in this story. Thanks for stopping by! :D

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”