Official Review: Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Ark of the Apocalypse by Tobin Marks

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ark of the Apocalypse" by Tobin Marks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The world is in trouble. Water, including precipitation, is at a premium. This also means there isn't enough food to go around. The countries that don't have water attack the countries that do for control of this precious resource. One family has foreseen the destruction of the planet and has plans, albeit sinister, to reclaim the planet. Another man has designs to make traveling to another planet feasible for a portion of the population. Will humanity survive this crisis? Will Earth survive?

Ark of the Apocalypse is an interesting and complex science fiction book written by Tobin Marks. With profanity, adult situations, and gore, I recommend the book for teenagers and adults.

The author has a way with words. Extremely descriptive, at times almost poetic, it's easy to get involved in the story. There are new creatures and new worlds to explore, which is fun because it's easy to immerse yourself in the novel. The world-building is one of many strengths in the novel.

One of the parts of the story that I enjoyed most was the technology. For example, the author talked about stealth aircraft that could project their radar signature up to 200 feet away. Mr. Marks made it seem like this technology was real, further immersing the reader in the story.

The characters were written well. The book mostly centered around the Yanbeyev family. Spanning multiple generations, they were intriguing. Nadya was my favorite, as she was strong yet vulnerable. Facing tough decisions, she always did what was right, yet it wasn't always easy.

One issue I had with the book was the language. The author often uses foreign words in the course of the story. While lending to the authenticity of the book, it makes it somewhat challenging to understand. In addition, there are military terms and abbreviations used that are never explained. Context is helpful, but a glossary of terms would be very beneficial. If the author would better explain these within the story itself, it would take the book to a different level.

Also, one of the greatest difficulties in writing is balance. There's a fine line between too many details and not enough. Unfortunately, this author errs on the side of too much information. There could have been fewer battle scenes. There were too many political scenes that should have been summed up or shortened instead. This made the book drag on longer than it should.

Lastly, the author was unclear about the timeline of the story. Each chapter is titled, and a location is given. However, the time seems to flow forward with no real indication as to how much time has passed. A simple date along with the location would erase any confusion. However, the further the book progressed, the less of an issue this became.

In summary, this is a very enjoyable book with a complicated and involved plot. There were a few slight hiccups, but I don't believe they were enough to take away a star. Therefore, I give Ark of the Apocalypse 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend it to fans of epic fantasies rather than dystopian novels due to its complex nature. This is the first of a series, so if you prefer standalone novels, I would skip this book.

Ark of the Apocalypse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

I don't mind a good series!
And the plot seems gripping.
Looking forward to more reviews of this series from you!!
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
MarveeAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marveeaman.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by MarveeAman »

Water crises subject in fantasy is something totally new for me, I am sure I'll love this book. Thank for the review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This isn’t quite what I expected from looking at the books cover, but it seems like it would be a fairly gripping story. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Wildflowertheorist wrote: 06 May 2021, 01:52 I don't mind a good series!
And the plot seems gripping.
Looking forward to more reviews of this series from you!!
Thanks. It was interesting as long as you expect a fantasy rather than a dystopian novel.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

MarveeAman wrote: 06 May 2021, 04:16 Water crises subject in fantasy is something totally new for me, I am sure I'll love this book. Thank for the review!
Yes, you don't hear much about the world running out of water. It was an interesting concept to be sure. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Booklover Becca wrote: 06 May 2021, 11:07 This isn’t quite what I expected from looking at the books cover, but it seems like it would be a fairly gripping story. Thanks for the great review!
It wasn't quite what I expected from the description. However, it's a great fantasy read. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Great review!
I am extremely glad you mentioned the point of it having too much information. I don't mind it honestly, but you need to be in the right mood.
I was interested in reading this book, but I think I will hold off for a bit. I need to finish a few series I am in the middle of.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

RayRuff wrote: 07 May 2021, 13:20 Great review!
I am extremely glad you mentioned the point of it having too much information. I don't mind it honestly, but you need to be in the right mood.
I was interested in reading this book, but I think I will hold off for a bit. I need to finish a few series I am in the middle of.
Yes, it was a little overwhelming at times, but the author clearly knew his stuff. It was interesting, and I recommend it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the kind of novel perfect for readers who like complex storylines with details about everything. I'm OK with all of that if it's well developed and interesting, so I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 May 2021, 11:04 This seems like the kind of novel perfect for readers who like complex storylines with details about everything. I'm OK with all of that if it's well developed and interesting, so I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Exactly right! You'll probably enjoy this! It would probably be even better if you aren't trying to remember every single detail for a review. :wink:
—Neil Gaiman
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the author’s writing skills as well as the complex plot. There are few writers who know how to design everything in detail and fit it perfectly. Thanks for the good review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

markodim721 wrote: 08 May 2021, 12:50 I like the author’s writing skills as well as the complex plot. There are few writers who know how to design everything in detail and fit it perfectly. Thanks for the good review.
This sounds like it would be a good fit for you. I hope you find time to enjoy it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

The story is not quite what I expected looking at the book's cover. I mean, that does look a lot like Daenerys Targaryen with a baby dragon on her shoulder, right? Sounds like an interesting read though. Thank you for your great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Sounds incredible, though I do prefer standalone novels. Also, the cover of the book reminds me of Khaleesi from Game of Thrones, how strange. Thanks for the informative review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”