Official Review: The Traveler by George Morningstar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Official Review: The Traveler by George Morningstar

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Traveler" by George Morningstar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Traveler by George Morningstar is a sci-fi story with a romantic side to it. The central character Jon Smith is a prisoner attributed to murder. Though he committed a murder, Jon is not the kind of person who would have ever been involved in any type of heinous crime. Jon has been awarded a death sentence but he is saved from the clutches of death, as per a plan of an organization that needs Jon for their mission. It is a non-government science research organization called TFE (The Facility Enterprises).

Jon is being trained at TFE for the mission; he has been chosen for time travel. He would be traveling back in the past, to be precise – San Francisco of the late 1960s. The author provides us a vivid description of TFE and introduces us to several characters who are part of this mission. You would be able to visualize the picture of the research center and understand how the mission is going to take place. Ultimately, Jon goes back in time. You are taken to the times of the 1960s; you would come across a new set of interesting characters, Margie would be a special one of those. Why has Jon been sent to a different time, and what events are going to take place with him; you got to read this sci-fi story for that.

I enjoyed the first part of this story, especially the vivid description of the research center, and the details of the mission. I could fantasize about the scenes and imagine as if I was watching an interesting sci-fi movie. The sequence of events that takes place before the time-travel has been meticulously written and gives us a clear picture of everything.

The story changes gears when Jon travels back to a different time. The author describes those times and gives some descriptions of the places and people. He gives us little details of the hippie culture and the behavior of the people. However, I felt that this portion of the story lacked detailing; more description could have been provided. Instead, the author gave details of some intimate scenes more than what was needed. Also, the story seemed to have been written in a little rush in the later portions. The story could have dealt more with the significance of time travel.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the story but I felt that more could be added to it. I recommend this story to a mature young audience and older readers who are into sci-fi stories, particularly time travel. Reader’s discretion is needed as there are some intimate scenes in the story and some violence in the end-part. The book may need a last round of editing to get rid of some typos and grammar errors.

The Traveler
View: on Bookshelves
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It’s too bad the tone changed so much when he went back in time. I hope the author can add more description to it. Thanks for the great review!
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Booklover Becca wrote: 06 May 2021, 10:28 It’s too bad the tone changed so much when he went back in time. I hope the author can add more description to it. Thanks for the great review!
I felt that the 1960's California could have been described more elaborately including the hippie culture.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel that just needs some polishing to improve some parts and have a proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It makes me wonder if the alleged crime of Jon has something to do with the time-traveling mission. The plot seems interesting. I do hope the concerns you raised gets the necessary attention. Thanks for the insights.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:40 This seems like an intriguing novel that just needs some polishing to improve some parts and have a proper proofreading. Thank you for your great review!
:tiphat:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

sssns wrote: 06 May 2021, 20:35 It makes me wonder if the alleged crime of Jon has something to do with the time-traveling mission. The plot seems interesting. I do hope the concerns you raised gets the necessary attention. Thanks for the insights.
Well @sssns , you may need to read this story to get that answer in a better way. I also hope the writer could give attention to the concern that I mentioned here, maybe it would make this story even better.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”