Review by Fola_M -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fola Moni
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fola-moni.html
Latest Review: Moonlight Serenade by Terry Mark

Review by Fola_M -- We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind

Post by Fola Moni »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz is the sixth book in the enthralling We are Voulhire series. It is a continuation of the adventure of Galen Bray and his friends, Rowan and Demetrius, in their ongoing battle against the Emperor of Lullabies and other antagonists.

The sky is blue and bright as morning dawns in Cridaea, one of the three cities of Voulhire. Autumn has finally arrived in the tourist city, but its citizens are not jubilating. In fact, they are downright terrified as the sky is marked with strange warships which signify the presence of the dreaded Emperor of Lullabies. They remember how the same warships dotted the skyline of Soulhire (another city of Voulhire) which heralded the death of King Wilhelm, and they wonder if their beloved city would meet the same fate.

Meanwhile, Demetrius and Rowan, our favourite protagonists, are on their way to Diamora to meet an old foe. Galen Bray is glaringly missing from their little company, but the task ahead of them is so important that they cannot afford to be distracted by his absence. Where is Galen Bray, and can Rowan and Demetrius save the day? Will Cridaea survive the onslaught of the Emperor of Lullabies?

The first thing I liked after reading it to the end is the reference guide. The author deserves top marks for this because it goes a long way in explaining the strange terms and phrases for readers who haven’t read the last five books in the series. Having said that, it would truly be in the reader’s best interest if they were to be acquainted with the last five books before jumping on this one. This way, they can fully understand the plot and thus really enjoy this wonderful series.

I also like the author’s descriptive writing style which is as compelling as always. He captivates you with his words and reels you into the story, letting you feel every single emotion and visualise every scene. He navigates his way between first-person and third-person narrative seamlessly without disrupting the flow of the storyline. A gripping page-turner, the plot doesn't lag or gets boring, and it is engrossing till the end.

The character development is also very commendable. New characters are introduced as skillfully as possible without compromising on the significance of the old leads. Angela Velys is a good example of such. Her character comes across as fearless and courageous in the face of extreme danger. She’s further emboldened by the unconditional love her husband, Adrian, has for her, and together they join forces to conquer the evil that threatens to obliterate their city, Cridaea.

I simply love everything about this book, and I wouldn't hesitate to give it 4 out of 4 stars for being such a captivating read. I couldn’t find any errors, so I can say it was exceptionally well-edited. There’s however a lot of profanity, subtle sexual references, and graphic horror/violent scenes, so I wouldn't recommend it to a younger/sensitive audience. Mature lovers of the sci-fi and fantasy literary genre would find it absolutely enchanting.

We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”