Official Review: Dragon Borne Enter The Kingdom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: The Bastard of Colonia
Bookshelf Size: 1529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Life of a Nurse by Alice Marlett

Official Review: Dragon Borne Enter The Kingdom

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragon Borne Enter The Kingdom" by James Patrick Lawrence Jr.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Instantly following a fierce fight, Michael and John find themselves in an unfamiliar world filled with supernatural powers. The two boys are in separate places, and neither of them knows what is happening to the other. With time, the boys discover they possess dragon powers. Michael commands the dragon of lightning and that of flames, whereas John’s are the water and wind dragons. Michael and John must learn to overcome their reasonable doubts and continue living on the chaotic streets without revealing their unfathomable powers.

Dragon Borne: Enter The Kingdom falls under the fantasy genre and comprises 332 pages. The book is action-packed, and James Patrick Lawrence Jr. employs vivid descriptions so perfectly that the reader can mentally visualize every scene. Following the characters on different extraordinary adventures was a thrilling experience. Equally, watching them lead mundane lives on the streets was captivating. I was anxious about what would happen if their cover was blown because they still had to face challenges like street fights. Luckily, this uncertainty helped to naturally generate the suspense-filled atmosphere that kept me turning from one page to the other.

One of the most fascinating aspects of the book was how the author developed the primary characters independently. They exhibited distinct traits, possessed different powers, and their training was streets apart. The longstanding rivalry between them made it difficult to guess what would happen if their paths crossed. They encountered similar challenges, though. For instance, their identity had to be concealed from those close to them. Equally, the training process was laborious as it would take hours before they perfected a single art sometimes. The secondary characters were brilliantly developed and had specific roles to occupy.

I enjoyed the street dialect employed in the dialogues, but the sloppy editing was unpalatable. The errors were so many that I had to stop paying attention to them down after a few chapters. Besides, the spelling of the names of certain characters and places kept changing. The book definitely requires another round of editing. The first seven chapters were missing in the portable document file version I downloaded. I hope that this is not the case with the other versions.

The novel ended with a bittersweet cliffhanger. It left me with a great deal to think about while wishing I knew how other conflicts were straightened out. Although the first chapters seemed to drag as they entailed long hours of training, the account became more exciting once the missions started. Undoubtedly owing to the grammatical errors, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to all ardent readers of fantasy. The book will appeal most to young adults. Anyone averse to swear words and explicit scenes should steer clear of it.

Dragon Borne Enter The Kingdom
View: on Bookshelves
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:
C Janet
2021 Reading Goal: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-janet.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by C Janet »

This book's title is eye-catching. From your summary, it is also an interesting read. It's too bad about the errors. Thank you for your great review!
Nqobile771
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile771.html
Latest Review: Mysteries and secrets by Janice Angelique

Post by Nqobile771 »

"Michael and John must learn to overcome their reasonable doubts and continue living on the chaotic streets without revealing their unfathomable powers." I read this learn and thought, the urge to burn a couple of things just to "show off" my powers would honestly overtake me. I don't think I have it in me to restrain myself :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: Terrific job with the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Flight
Bookshelf Size: 227
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old for this novel, but if the author does some serious proofreading I'll be tempted to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Latest Review: Change by N G Nelson
Booklover Becca
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: Possible by William H. Barr

Post by Booklover Becca »

I’m glad the book picked up after a while. I’d be very interested in seeing how the different dragon traits manifest themselves in the characters. Thanks for the great review
Fireside119
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fireside119.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Fireside119 »

Sounds like a fascinating story. My interest piqued when you mentioned that Michael and John kept engaging in ordinary activities to hide their superpowers. I can't imagine what damage a street fight with either of them would cause.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”