Official Review: First under Heaven by M.A Amru

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: First under Heaven by M.A Amru

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "First under Heaven" by M.A Amru.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What if the Germans won WWII? What if aliens truly exist? What if time and reality could be manipulated? What kind of a world it would be then?

M. A Amru explores all these possibilities in his thought-provoking novel, First Under Heaven. Lord Nyarlathotep is the pioneer of the alien race, D'mt. After the massacre on their planet, he has promised to find them a place and civilization to rule and control. Earth is his best shot. Thus, begins a sequence of complicated events.

In Amru's world, multiple timelines exist. He shows the probable fate of mankind if the Germans had won the war. He talks about racism and patriotism. He also sheds light on LGBT rights. Through the eyes of Zoe, Dwight, and many others, Amru depicts the consequences of war and peace. I truly liked the way he talks about colonies on other planets. The concept of a special kind of life support also intrigued me.

I liked the way battle scenes are portrayed. They are intricately detailed. Also, the way the complexities of human relationships are shown are applaudable. Love, hate, and vengeance are all shown in a realistic manner.

First Under Heaven is like a hotchpotch of ideas. There are myriad themes discussed in the book. There are alternate realities showcased in the book. In each reality, the same characters are shown with a different life. Also. I have to mention that there are multiple points of view. The shifts in the perspectives are not clearly demarcated. In many chapters, it is difficult to discern the narrator at first glance. In some cases, the presence of a sub-plot is also difficult to justify as they are not properly wrapped. Their correlation to the main plot is also somewhat vague. The writing also changes gear between first, second, and third person. The grammatical errors often confuse the reader. I believe a round of professional editing and proofreading would work wonders on the book.

Despite the shortcomings, I would like to say that the book has great potential. Once the errors are fixed and the shifting points of view are clearly delineated, it would be a very enjoyable read. The book has action and romance. It also poses philosophical questions that compel the reader to think. In short, it has all the ingredients to make it an amazing read.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I will give this book 2 out of 4 stars. People who are finicky about grammar should wait till the edited version comes out to enjoy the book. I recommend this book to fans of philosophy, history, and science fiction. People who enjoy alien warfare would like the book as well.

First under Heaven
View: on Bookshelves
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

It's like a buffet of stories, themes, emotions in all. It's really inconvenient with so many errors. Hope they edit it soon. Thank you for your review!
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

The premise of this book sounds really good and I'm sure with some additional editing it could be a wonderful read. Great and honest review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

It sounds like an intriguing book that's right up my alley. Hopefully, the author will heed your advice and do some further editing. Great review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

What an intriguing premise! I may go ahead and give this book a try despite the need for additional editing. Thank you for a great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds complicated as it sits, but ultimately intriguing. I hope the author can work on the problems you’ve mentioned. Thanks for the honest review!
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

First Under Heaven sounds like an interesting read! I agree that it's frustrating to read a book without clear demarcation when the perspective shifts to a different character. Thank you for this insightful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has an intereting mix of elements that create a great potential, so I really hope the author will work more on it to develop it properly. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Purplesturv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purplesturv.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Purplesturv »

The title got me. But from your review, seems like a book I wouldn't finish. I hope the author considers a re-edit.
Ajay Rudrapati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajay-rudrapati.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Ajay Rudrapati »

I am very much awaited to read this book, Your review motivated me to read this book ASAP. The way you inculcated the details of the book in a very clear manner is impressive. Thank you

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”