Official Review: Devian by Shanna Bosarge

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Official Review: Devian by Shanna Bosarge

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Devian" by Shanna Bosarge.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sterling, a young silvered-eyed girl, learns some information about her past on her twenty-first birthday and has everything she calls home and family destroyed by Severons on the same day. She was born during a battle between a graekull demon and her Veillen father. Heeding her father's dying instructions, her uncle, Hemi, hides her away. As Sterling continues to learn of her true Devian heritage and powers, she learns the hard way how her kind is looked upon with contempt.

Sterling trains under Hemi, but it doesn't sufficiently prepare her for the battles ahead. To learn more about her past, she has to live through imprisonment and torture to get to Kai'Vari, her homeland. During her flight from Severon soldiers, she meets a strong Veillen warrior called Brom, who saves her from them. What part does Brom have to play in Sterling's mission? What information did she learn about herself on her twenty-first birthday? Does she succeed in her mission? What do the Severon want from her?

In this story, Devian, being the first installment of The Elemental Union series, Shanna Bosarge took me on a thrilling journey through an intense and creatively written fantasy story. I was pleased with the author's writing prowess, especially with regards to the story's worldbuilding. Bosarge's seamless description of the history and culture of different locations was top-notch. The maps of Kai'Vari and Taaneri at the beginning of the story were nice as well. The author also created unique languages, calendars, and character names. I also liked how most chapters started with a date—in the book's unique calendar style—so I could keep a better track of the plot's chronology.

What I liked most was how the characters were brought to life with remarkable traits and unique backstories. Characters such as Sterling, Hemi, Brigit, and Engram left lasting impressions in my mind. They each contributed uniquely in deepening the plot.

I didn't find anything I hated about this tale. I felt a couple of major characters could have played a more prominent role in the story. However, this is only the first installment of this series, so I believe this is being primed for subsequent books.

Devian went through top-notch editing as I found only one grammar issue. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, thanks to the robust worldbuilding and the unique character traits and backstories. I recommend this book to any lover of fantasy and adventure books and movies.

Devian
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Its sound's like a top notch book. Sterling had a hard time catching up with her past and still more to uncover. It would be quite a Journey. Thank you for the review!
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m intrigued to learn more about Sterling’s past and how it’ll affect her future. Thank you for the great review!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Your review makes me want to get this fantasy adventure story immediately! Sterling's journey is one that sounds dark and mysterious.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

This sounds like a good book and a great series to get into. Thanks for a great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a very well-constructed novel with all its elements skillfully developed. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Holly Fleming
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holly-fleming.html
Latest Review: Beyond by Ruth Mitchell

Post by Holly Fleming »

Devian sounds like a great read with interesting characters. It also sounds like it has the potential to be an engaging series. Great review!
Durgeshwari Dolas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-durgeshwari-dolas.html
Latest Review: Cold Serial: The Jack the Strangler Murders by Brian E. Forschner

Post by Durgeshwari Dolas »

its giving me the vibe of a story with a strong female lead and i'm sure this is my type of book. Thank you for the review!
“We don’t need a list of rights and wrongs, tables of dos and don’ts: We need books, time, and silence. Thou shalt not is soon forgotten, but Once upon a time lasts forever.” – Philip Pullman
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

This books seems to have all the elements I love. Looking forward to reading this. Thank you for your great review.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”