Official Review: Tentacles of Destruction

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Official Review: Tentacles of Destruction

Post by Drianie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tentacles of Destruction" by Allen H. Walcott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tentacles of Destruction by Allen H. Walcott features an action-packed plot with fantasy and science-fiction elements. Quantum dimensions, alternate realities, and multiple worlds exist. Here you will find T.H.E.M working behind the scenes influencing governments and organizations. The goal of this occult order is to gain complete control over humanity.

A key element to their success is a weapon that Hitler was secretly creating. This weapon will provide them with the means to finally control the world. Opposing them are the Radicals, with only Robert, Angel, and Mr. Alms left to stop this demonic group from successfully implementing their evil plans. Guillaume is unexpectedly thrown into the midst of this ongoing battle when Robert informs him that he is the only one that can lead them to the weapon. If the Radicals can prevent T.H.E.M from getting their hands on it, they will finally have the upper hand in this fight for freedom. However, as Guillaume discovers the truth about his ability to locate the weapon, he learns who he truly is, and this knowledge will impact the war in unexpected ways.

Firstly, this plot incorporates many different elements, but unfortunately, I was confused throughout most of the book. I think the story is brilliant, but I failed to understand some of the things the author was trying to say. Also, this book being relatively short does not count in its favor. I needed more details about the world, the technology, and the history between T.H.E.M and the Radicals. By fleshing out the story a bit more, some scenes will make more sense. I felt like I was dropped in the middle of an intense battle between good and evil without the necessary information to help me successfully navigate through the different events in this story.

That being said, once I finished the book, I went back to re-read some of the scenes and found myself with a bit more clarity around the plot and the characters. I enjoyed the element of multiple realities, which is always a difficult concept to explore in novels. My favorite aspect of this novel was the bewildered Guillaume as the protagonist, and it was fascinating to learn more about his character as the plot developed. Readers who enjoy fast-paced stories will not be disappointed with this one. The narrative begins with action, and something interesting is happening on every page. The ending of this book is unique in that readers can choose from two possible scenarios following the climax. I know which one I would prefer, although it was interesting to explore an alternative ending.

The book contains some non-borderline profanity, although the author uses it sparingly. Besides this, the novel is free of graphic violence and sexual content. While reading, you will come across elements such as demons, angels, and God, although religion does not overshadow the plot. The thing I disliked the most was the many errors I found within the text. Therefore, I believe this book can do with another round of editing.

Taking my dislikes and the number of errors into consideration, I rate Tentacles of Destruction 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to readers who appreciate dissecting intricate science-fiction plots. Those who enjoy fast-paced action and stories featuring multiple realities will have fun delving into this book. However, readers who prefer a straightforward plot that is easy to understand might want to skip this one.

Tentacles of Destruction
View: on Bookshelves
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. While Guillaume's adventure towards Hitler's secret weapon sounds thrilling with the fast-paced plot, the lack of necessary pieces of information can be a huge letdown for the readers.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Its the war which counts, but not if the right info is not given. I think that Robert's truth is the key to the book climax. Thanks for the review!
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Beautiful plot. I'd love to know how Guillaume's discovery of the truth about his ability to locate the weapon impacts the war going forward. Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I was hooked by your description of the plot, but a bit disappointed by the lack of exploration into all the possibilities the author could’ve done. Thanks for your honest review!
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

While I feel the plotline has been explored before, the addition of multiverses is something interesting. It is unfortunate to read about the confusion and errors. Thank you for this review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with interesting potential with too many elements packed together that cause some confusion. Some more editing might improve it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I'm sorry that a fairly well-conceived book still collapsed and experienced a decline in quality, causing confusion.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”