Official Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeighBee
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Official Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "To Own Two Suns" by F. E. Tabor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

To Own Two Suns, by F. E. Tabor, is a science fiction novel about a crew of scientists who are exploring our solar system when they encounter an alien spacecraft.

The plot focuses on two main characters: Captain Jerry Jerrison and Muni of the Green Hill Clan from the Morgi planet. Jerry Jerrison is the captain of a Solar Missions Ship (SMS) from Earth. His dream since childhood has been to encounter extraterrestrial life. When the Morgi spacecraft decelerates and is detected by Jerrison’s ship, Jerrison and his crew make a daring decision to act before command back on earth can tell them to avoid contact. Two of the crew set off to explore the craft and find out what life, if any, is occupying such a superior vessel. Meanwhile, Muni, the sole occupant of the craft, is in a state of deep sleep. The ship’s Artificial Intelligence must decide what to do about the humans and their failing spaceship without Muni’s guidance.

Muni’s mission is to find a way to claim the earth’s solar system for his clan. If he fails, his entire family will be killed. He is his family’s last hope. As the novel progresses, Muni and the humans must find a way to communicate, to understand each other, and to form a compatible relationship that will hopefully not result in the extermination of either or both groups.

What I enjoyed most about this novel was the unique plot. The characters, including extraterrestrial ones, are relatable and complex. Readers are drawn into the plot of Muni and root for his success even if it may have detrimental outcomes for humans. I also appreciated the author’s detailed and plausible explanations of the biological differences of the species, for example, the difference in speed of thought, the way the Morgi mate, and how their young are raised. While some of the cultural misunderstandings result in what readers may view as horrific, the author expertly explains these experiences through the eyes of Muni so that readers gain empathy as both cultures try to adjust to each other. Similarly, another appealing aspect of the novel is the humor the author uses when human cultural norms are viewed through the perspective of Morgi values.

The only thing I would change about the novel is that I would have liked to see a bit more development of the final scene of action. The author certainly does a satisfactory job of concluding the novel and doesn’t leave any unresolved conflicts or questions, but I thought the final scene of action could have been extended to show more of the immediate results. This is not a strong enough negative for me to consider it a flaw because it did not detract from my enjoyment of the novel. It is simply the artistic choice of a skilled author that I did not agree with.

The novel was mostly free of grammatical errors and typos, so I appreciate that it seems to be professionally edited. The author’s writing style is engaging, the plot moves at an exciting pace, and the curiosities of the challenges the characters face are entertaining and thought-provoking.

I rate this novel 4 out of 4 stars.. I enjoyed this novel and thought the creativity the author demonstrated was refreshing. I laughed many times at the author’s clever humor and thought the plot was exciting. I will be looking for more books from this talented author.

I would recommend this novel to anyone who enjoys science fiction. I would also recommend it to anyone who wonders what might happen if humans encounter an alien species.

To Own Two Suns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

The story has an interesting plot, and I will love to find out if Muni was able to capture the earth's solar system for his clan at the end of the day.

Great review.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: The Tales of Little Lady M by Diego Di Mauro

Post by Kavita Shah »

I would love to read this book and about Muni's culture. It sounds exciting to find alien life in space. Good Review!
amrinzaeda
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amrinzaeda.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by amrinzaeda »

The extraterrestrial elements sound very imaginative and interesting. I'm not one for books about aliens, but your review has me intrigued. Thanks for the great review!
Dartemis
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading: What’s Forever For? A Physician’s Guide To Everlasting Love And Success In Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dartemis.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Dartemis »

This sounds like an interesting take on the alien sub-genre. I’m glad we get to see the point of views from the human characters as well as the alien ones. Thank you for your detailed review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Change
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Jokerman by David Magee

Post by NetMassimo »

A meeting with intelligent aliens is a classic premise, I'm glad this one is well developed with interesting characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
TheMazeRunner
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themazerunner.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by TheMazeRunner »

Humour is all we need! I am going to check this book out. Thanks for the beautiful review!
Mwatu
2021 Reading Goal: 12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: The Universal Call by Fatima El-Hindi

Post by Mwatu »

I'm glad to read that the Morgi find some of our norms funny. I also think real aliens would react to some of our norms in a similar nature. Thank you for a lovely review!
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

NetMassimo wrote: ↑27 Apr 2021, 02:53 A meeting with intelligent aliens is a classic premise, I'm glad this one is well developed with interesting characters. Thank you for your great review!
I've read hundreds of science fiction novels dealing with intelligent aliens (from the classics to modern authors), but I have not read any that treat the cultural and political aspects quite like this. It is, as you said, a classic premise; the perspective and writing style of the author, however, is novel. If you are interested in this genre, I'd definitely recommend it.
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: I Am Not Gog
Bookshelf Size: 498
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: River Current by M. Lee Martin

Post by kdstrack »

This does seem to be an interesting theme. It is easy to see how misunderstandings in communication between the species could be misinterpreted! Great review! Thanks for recommending this author.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

I like the fact that the author has paid attention to the development of the characters, because I am convinced that this is the only right way to a good book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”