Official Review: Ultimatum by John Andersen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Ultimatum by John Andersen

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ultimatum" by John Andersen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Irreversible climate change and chaotic government policies have thrown the Earth on a self-destructive path. Unless something happens, humanity is headed for disaster. In 2047, the situation changes drastically with the arrival of a thousand alien ships positioned strategically all over the globe. An equally friendly and threatening alien by the name of Charlie dramatically interrupts the annual UN meeting with an explosive announcement. He is the representative of a Continuum of planets deeply concerned about the fate of the Earth in the next few years.

In the name of the aliens, Charlie puts forward a ten-year plan drawn up for the salvation and reconstruction of the Earth. If humanity refuses to comply with the aliens’ demands, the alternative is total extermination at the end of the deadline. Sylvia Han-Chin, the President of the United States, and Ben Williamson, the Secretary of State, have trouble believing people can change their way of life on such short notice. However, Sylvia’s plan to contact Amos Richardson, a paid assassin, has little chance of succeeding because of the aliens’ indestructibility. When it turns out that the aliens have a hidden agenda, things get even more complicated.

Ultimatum by John Andersen is a sci-fi novel serving as a warning against the threat of climate change and the unequal distribution of power and resources. The author does a great job of portraying a utopian human society rebuilt on the principles of cooperation, equality, and tolerance. The story flows smoothly and follows the changes affecting human society during each of the ten years. The symmetrical structure of the novel includes a revelatory prologue and an explanatory epilogue. The sections dedicated to each year are also orderly divided into three parts and rely on a significant element in the plot development. Readers who like clear-cut endings will be pleased to know that the epilogue provides a satisfactory conclusion to the story. However, there is still room for a sequel.

Without a doubt, John Andersen writes a thought-provoking novel. I loved the pages of sharp criticism and biting satire against the absurdity of human behavior. On the same wavelength, the book raises people’s awareness of the long-term consequences of total disrespect for both the environment and human rights. When it comes to the problems humanity faces, Andersen leaves no stone unturned. He tackles a wide range of issues: the deadly effect of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons; the growing number of murders and other crimes; the threat of climate change and pollution; the deterioration of human health; the lack of food and water for the starving people in different parts of the world; the devastating impact of war and territorial expansion; the misinterpretation of religion and religious dogmas, and the unfairness of gender and racial discrimination. The solutions provided in the novel might sound unrealistic, but they are a wake-up call for all of us.

As for the characters, Charlie, Sylvia, and Amos stand out from the crowd. I couldn’t help but admire Charlie’s self-confidence, Sylvia’s determination, and Amos’s detachment. Many episodic characters reflect the diversity of people’s reactions to the aliens’ arrival. Every new year affects people’s lives more and more. Tommy Hernandez, Mohammad Abadi (Mo), or Steven Garrison see the aliens’ arrival as a blessing. Richard Adams, Alan Jamison, and Chaffee “Bull” Browning are not so pleased with all the changes. My only complaint is that the characters are not full-fledged. I wish the author had focused on fewer characters and endowed them with more depth and complexity. Along the same lines, the sci-fi elements of the book could have been further explored.

On the whole, I warmly recommend Ultimatum by John Andersen to all readers of sci-fi novels with a penchant for utopias. It includes non-offensive profane words, no violent scenes, and non-explicit sexual scenes. In 252 pages, I have only noticed 23 editing errors. They consist of minor punctuation and grammar mistakes like wrong articles or missing prepositions. For this reason alone, I am giving John Andersen’s novel 3 out of 4 stars. Otherwise, its strengths outweigh its weaknesses. I cannot wait to read other sci-fi books written by this author in the future.

Ultimatum
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

Books that proffer solution to the negative climate change happening in the world is one I'd love to read.

Great review.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

It is remarkable how the structure of the novel integrates with the plot development. Thanks for the insights.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I was intrigued by the book cover and am not disappointed by your review! It sounds like a fresh take on the potential disaster track the earth is on. Thanks for the great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premises remind me of the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original!) and the novel Childhood's End, so it seems intriguing and thought-provoking. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great storyline. It would make a fun Star Trek movie.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Glad to read how the book addresses a myriad of human problems we face today and offers possible solutions to them. The premise of an alien species stepping to supposedly save us from ourselves is one I can get behind. Thank you for a lovely review!
Da Rafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-da-rafi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Da Rafi »

No one will ever know climate change for sure, i love charlie here at the UN annual meeting with explosive announcements and people really care, this review is pretty good

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”