Review by Ariheart -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ariheart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariheart.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by Ariheart -- Fish Wielder

Post by Ariheart »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R (Jim) Hardisons takes a dive into the world of adventure. The protagonist, Thoral, will take many risks to fight for justice, but just how far can he go to continually thwart all evil? Ever since the catastrophe, Thoral has been trudging through his life, going on one adventure after another. When he rescues the elvin princess, Nalweegi, she starts to shine a new light into his life. As he finally starts to move on from his past, a new group of enemies emerges and stirs up trouble. Soon, things get personal when they mess with Nalweegi. While trying to rescue her, Thoral becomes emotionally conflicted between the secrets of his past and his potential future. Will he let his mysterious past distract him from doing the right thing?

I admired the imagination put into creating their world. It was slow going at first, but near the end it gave more in depth details. Thoral's mysterious identity definitely improved the plot as well. It made me curious to keep on reading. After the first half, I was completely engrossed and couldn't stop devouring it. It also has many humorous lines and didn't disappoint in entertaining. It gave me a good laugh that made this book truly authentic.

I thought that the main character was too prideful. Thoral has to much self-esteem and is a bit conceited. The other characters didn't seem to notice it, and even feed his ego more. His background made him feel downhearted and sad. As the hero of the story, I felt that he needed to be more humble and hopeful. I also didn't like how it stated that Thoral was basically invincible. That took away some of the edge from the dangerous scenes. It seemed like it was saying that he couldn't lose, which made some of the scenes predictable.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. The plot made up for the things I didn't like about the book. It was very interesting and didn't take long to read. The editing was really good, I couldn't find any misspelled words.

As a fantasy novel, I would suggest this book for pre-teens. It is full of adventure and magical things, but it also has a few profane words. At times it can be hard to understand, because they use an old way of talking. The vocabulary is confusing and should probably be read by more experienced readers. Overall it was a fun book and was very enjoyable.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”