Review by Sarah001 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah001.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Sarah001 -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by Sarah001 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever migrated from a rural, under civilized zone to an urban area? You may feel as if you've arrived in the land of your dreams, the perfect paradise. As time goes on, though, reality begins to set in. We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies tells a similar tale with much suspense and intrigue. It is the first book in a series.

Galen Bray, the protagonist, is a young, smart, and vibrant man. A major turn in his life came when he learned that he has been chosen to be his uncle's heir. Galen picked up his few belongings and said goodbye to the dilapidated Lands of the Princes. Life in Voulhire was strange and new. However, he would soon learn that this novelty is not limited to infrastructure and social amenities. Complex issues and concerns threaten the very fabric of Voulhire's existence.

Matthew Tysz has impeccably woven an intricate plot with well-developed characters. Some of my favorite characters are Rowan —who kept me in his grip with his unmistakable charisma, citizens of Riva Rohavi —who amused me with their strange security strategies, and the Emperor of Lullabies —who devised a devilish scheme to check his sons.

I loved the steady progression of the story. It was neither fast nor slow. The narrative is also clear and descriptive. For instance, when describing a scene at sea, the narrative said, 'Finally, the gust of water that swept the island ceased, and the column of water tailed up into the black sky. Now there was silence across the island. And darkness.

The only dislike I have about this book is the high content of magic in the story. I found it difficult to connect the events with reality. My most favorite aspect of this book is the overall quality of the narrative. It has a professional touch. The development of the characters and the story speaks volumes about the thoroughness of the author. Sensitive readers should note that the narrative contains non-borderline profanities. However, they do not occur often in the text.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was awesomely edited, with good grammar construction and intellectual conversations. I had an interesting time reading through this suspenseful book. I also enjoyed gleaning information about forging. This is a book I would read all over again. I would recommend it to lovers of historical fiction.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

Sounds like an amazing book from your review. I might consider it for my next read. I also like Sci-fi, so this should be a great one.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”