Official Review: Shadows of the Sun by Conor McIvor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Official Review: Shadows of the Sun by Conor McIvor

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shadows of the Sun" by Conor McIvor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a tale about Lux, a village hunter from the powerful Empire of Eos, who lives as an outcast in the foreign city of Solaris.

After his father's mysterious disappearance, Lux narrowly escapes the onslaught of a goblin horde that destroys his home. His best friend Sci is the only family he has left. Luckily, he is given refuge by Solarian warriors—Eleanor and Dusk. In return, Lux must promise his unwavering allegiance to the city of Solaris. To sweeten the deal, he has a renewed hope of finding his father. The only obstacle standing in his way is Sci.

Now, Lux must decide what his heart truly wants; run away with Sci or switch his loyalty to his new comrades-in-arms, Eleanor and Dusk. There is no third option.

Conor McIvor’s Shadows of the Sun is an action-packed fantasy, with enough plotlines to keep the reader wondering. On top of his internal struggles, Lux battles a zombie army, faces the ferocious Basilisk creature, and discovers a damaging secret.

This book has two positive features that stood out; the writing style of the combat segments; and the world-building of the fantasy realm. The former is my favorite since those parts were more descriptive and thrilling.

McIvor has a keen ability to verbalize his video-game-style fighting scenes—such as swinging blades, handmade fireballs, spins, and backflip kicks. Of course, these parts would be incomplete without the gory sensory details; squelching flesh, foul goblin breath, and “bloodied mass of meat”. Also, this story has the ingredients of immersive fantasy. For example, sword-fighting, wicked warlocks, haunted ruins, and the clash of evil (the Empire of Eos) versus good (the city of Solaris).

Regrettably, the transitions were occasionally wordy and geared off the plot. For instance, on the morning of the epic battle with a mysterious mage, the characters were lounging and waiting for breakfast to be served. At that moment, I was eager for this segment to end and move to the action piece. Thankfully, I was not disappointed by the anticipated adventure. As a result, I didn’t count this slip-up as a negative point against the book.

I rate Shadows of the Sun 3 out of 4 stars. Unfortunately, the numerous grammar and spelling errors were a negative point. Therefore, I could not give it a 4-star rating. Additionally, a 2-star rating would be remiss since I enjoyed the story. I also look forward to the second volume (as implied at the end of the book).

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for an action-filled fantasy genre. Also, players of fantasy-action video games might enjoy the warfare segments. Due to the profanity and the heavy violence, I would not recommend it to younger readers.

Shadows of the Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I like fantasy books. This, coupled with a load of actions, even make me desire it more. Kudos to the reviewer.
Sakura5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakura5.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sakura5 »

Fantasy books are my favorite and this one seems like a nice addition to the genre. It is a pity though for the numerous grammar mistakes, this will have me think twice about reading it. Thanks for the nice review!
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The beautiful cover caught my eyes towards this intriguing book. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

This sounds exactly like a story I would read. Fantasy books are definitely my favorite. Can’t wait to read it. 
I enjoyed reading your review, great work!
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

It's too bad this book is not better edited and does not include more thorough transitions. Thanks for the well-written and honest review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Despite the unnecessary lengthy parts, the plot seems intriguing enough with the action scenes. I also am curious about Lux's choice and why Sci is an obstacle in his way.
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

lumenchristi wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 07:48 I like fantasy books. This, coupled with a load of actions, even make me desire it more. Kudos to the reviewer.
They should have a fantasy-action genre :D . Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Sou Hi wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 21:12 Thanks for your interesting review. Despite the unnecessary lengthy parts, the plot seems intriguing enough with the action scenes. I also am curious about Lux's choice and why Sci is an obstacle in his way.
Some of the questions remain unanswered pending a second volume. But I won't say which ones. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Sakura5 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 09:08 Fantasy books are my favorite and this one seems like a nice addition to the genre. It is a pity though for the numerous grammar mistakes, this will have me think twice about reading it. Thanks for the nice review!
Yes, I hope it can get the proofread treatment it deserves. Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

sharon titus wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 06:44 The beautiful cover caught my eyes towards this intriguing book. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
I thought so too! It is very well done, and a bit mysterious. Thanks for stopping by!
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love fantasy and science fiction books filled with action, so your recommendation made me curious. Than you for this detailed review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 05:20 I love fantasy and science fiction books filled with action, so your recommendation made me curious. Than you for this detailed review!
I'm happy about that! Thanks for stopping by!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Marcel Cantu wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 14:14 It's too bad this book is not better edited and does not include more thorough transitions. Thanks for the well-written and honest review!
Hopefully, it can be done. You're welcome and thanks for stopping by!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

"McIvor has a keen ability to verbalize his video-game-style fighting scenes—such as swinging blades, handmade fireballs, spins, and backflip kicks. Of course, these parts would be incomplete without the gory sensory details; squelching flesh, foul goblin breath, and “bloodied mass of meat”."

Silly goblins! Is brushing your teeth so difficult? :mrgreen:
Actually, this book looks like a very interesting read. It's a shame there are so many mistakes in this book!
Anyway, thank you for the great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”