Review by ivankiptoo -- Ark of the Apocalypse

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ivankiptoo
Currently Reading: The Only Way Out
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivankiptoo.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Review by ivankiptoo -- Ark of the Apocalypse

Post by ivankiptoo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Ark of the Apocalypse" by Tobin Marks.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The brilliant mind of Tobin Marks, through Ark of the Apocalypse, offers a sobering insight into a bleak future facing a world not too different from ours. In a world experiencing the adverse yet irreversible effects of climate change, its conundrum is further compounded by political tensions brought upon by preexisting mistrust and hostility alongside ever-depleting natural resources, all building up to a war that changes life as we know it. Two powerful lineages, each in possession of different abilities, take up the task of facilitating the process of starting over on another planet aboard the biggest engineering feat yet, Magellan II.

My favorite aspect of the book is how Marks accurately approaches matters of climate change and political relations. His breakdown of the causative factors and the subsequent outcomes is so convincing, one cannot help but consider the book a relatively accurate but grim prediction of future life on earth. Furthermore, his comprehensive background in spacecraft plays a significant role in the extensive description of the Magellan II's functionality.

Moreover, I applaud the dialogue employed in this novel. Character traits are best revealed through how a particular character talks to another and one can easily pick out the aggressive characters whose vocabulary is full of swear words. Besides that, the book relies on foreshadowing alongside prophecy as styles of narration. I find it quite interesting trying to figure out how a bizarre prediction will play out later on in the story and then the build up to the actual event never disappoints.

My sole qualm with the book, albeit a very minor one, is how one or two characters in particular don't have a clear laid out development. It was particularly difficult to deduce the traits of these characters and from time to time, their behavior appeared inexplicable based on their known traits.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 based on the rich storytelling and the vivid description of the dystopian world. The presence of very powerful protagonists at the helm of the story ensures that the story flows smoothly and it's a book that demands to be read in a single session. Also, the book was well-edited due to the absence of grammatical errors throughout.

The book occasionally uses very strong words particularly in dialogue and has very few instances of sexual episodes. Therefore, the book is suitable for quite a large age range. I recommend this book specifically for individuals with an inclination towards international politics and climate change. It may not be factual or fully scientific but it's still an enlightening and casual read that places the current global challenges in perspective.

Ark of the Apocalypse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: In the Time of the Butterflies
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: Off The Pages by Alejandro Gonzalez

Post by Jasy95 »

Thanks for the great review! This sounds like a great book. I love it when novels have prophecies that I get to unravel as I read.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”