Review by Noda21k -- Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaitlin Licato
Currently Reading: Shakespeare's Guide to Parenting
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-licato.html
Latest Review: The Sylvan Horn by Robert Redinger

Review by Noda21k -- Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem

Post by Kaitlin Licato »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mirrored Worlds" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem is the first in a series of fantasy novels. The series is set in a universe that parallels our own, but with one significant difference, magic. In this particular world, the earth is called the Reath, and when magic emerged here long ago, it caused a cataclysmic change in the world. The discovery of a portal/mirror-like object helped the Reath inhabitants (Reathans) become aware of the non-magical world’s existence. The two worlds can’t interact though, as anything magical sent through to the non-magical realm will cause severe disasters; the same is true of anything non-magical sent through to the Reath.

Our book begins with natural disasters occurring across one of the most insular nations in the Reath. These disasters are being caused by the birth of a non-magical baby. Our protagonist, Lila, sets out with two companions as a strike team whose mission is to invade the enemy nation, locate the child, and return to their superiors with the child to avert more severe disasters (and possibly the destruction of their entire world).

The book itself was very engaging. At the start, Lila seems a little bland and doesn’t have much backstory, but she, and her magic, grow and change throughout the story. Her companions are also well-developed and, while not typical heroes, both have redeeming qualities. My favorite character was Battleaxe. Though serious at the core, his character still provided comic relief due to his size and abilities. I also loved his interactions with children. I’d like to see a lot more of him and maybe even hear things more from his perspective in the future.

My least favorite part was probably the ending. Not only was it easy to predict who was causing all of the problems, but it also was a massive cliffhanger. There is no resolution, which leaves the reader waiting for the next book in the series. I will definitely want to read it; I just wish that the resolution was a little more satisfying.

Due to the fun characters and engaging plot, I give Mirrored Worlds by Tayma Tameem 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this book to adults and young adults who love fantasy and adventure novels. While the ending was abrupt, the story was engaging enough to make up for it. I look forward to reading the next installment.

Mirrored Worlds
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”