Official Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth" by Antoine Bonner.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth is a standalone fantasy novel that also functions as a prequel to the Rise of the Hearts series by Antoine Bonner. Amanda is just finishing up high school, with no definite plans for the future, when she and her father are in a terrible car accident. In her unconscious state, an ancient deity chooses Amanda to be the acolyte of truth. Meanwhile, the doctor who is treating Amanda’s comatose father has had his own encounter with a deity, making him the acolyte of death. Jamie has plans to use his new powers as the acolyte of death to save his own dying son. With her new powers – detecting lies and summoning guns with mind-controlled bullets – Amanda is suddenly responsible for saving not only herself, but millions of people in the world who could fall victim to Jamie’s sinister plans.

Amanda is a unique and fun character to follow. She’s loud and outgoing, and her only interest is karate. Her six-year-old sister, Saira, is also unique in a completely different way; Saira is very down-to-earth and serious, and she speaks in a monotone voice without any emotion. Their contrasting personalities make for an interesting dynamic. Although Saira is much younger, she often comes across as the more rational adult in troublesome situations, and she creates a nice balance to Amanda’s much more chaotic approach. I really enjoyed reading about the nontraditional relationship between these two girls.

This book is extremely action-packed and fast-paced. Oftentimes, I felt like it was too fast-paced for my taste, and I had to re-read sections to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. With so much going on within every line of the text, it was easy to miss important details. It was especially easy to lose track of characters; there is a huge cast of characters that I couldn’t even begin to cover in my brief summary above. Almost all of the characters have connections to a deity and a kundalini, each with their own names and powers to keep up with. Furthermore, some of the characters have very similar names, such as Amanda, Ameena, and Ana. I got these three names confused throughout the whole book, despite Amanda being the main character.

Although I enjoyed the opening of the book and the portrayal of several of the characters throughout the story, this book became extremely more difficult to read as it went on. I think that readers need to have some background knowledge in a variety of mythologies and religions in order to understand what is happening. For example, there are references to Buddhism, Hinduism, ancient Egyptian mythology, and probably more that I overlooked. There is mention of kundalini and prana that an average layperson might not know much about. Fortunately, I have an adequate amount of knowledge about Buddhism, which helped me understand much of the text, but I think that someone without as much knowledge would easily give up reading the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the story, but I found it harder and harder to read as it progressed, due to the complex topics and massive number of characters. When I was able to keep up with the characters, they had interesting personalities, and there was humor woven into the dialogue that kept them intriguing. In the end, I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. There are lots of scenes containing graphic violence and profanity, but there are only a handful of minor errors that do not interrupt the flow of the text. I recommend this book to readers who have strong background knowledge and an interest in a variety of non-Western religions/mythologies.

Rise of the Savior: Acolyte of Truth
View: on Bookshelves
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

This is a good review. I will find it difficult to understand this book as I don't have any background knowledge of the mentioned religion.
Kenna Ridzi
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenna-ridzi.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Kenna Ridzi »

I agree with similarly named characters being harder to follow, I have experienced that in many books and it always makes it harder to separate the experiences of the characters in question. Thank you for your review, this must have been a difficult book to process and explain but you did it quite well.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially, I thought this was a young adult novel, but I see that its contents make it suitable for more grown-up readers for their complex references and the graphic violence. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

Wow!!!Amanda the saviour.This book is so captivating by the unexpected turn of events.The review is soo great.Congrats
Patricia Wooden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patricia-wooden.html
Latest Review: Filling Up a Hole by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Patricia Wooden »

Yes your review was perfect!
Parkavi K
Currently Reading: Tales of the Seventies
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Parkavi K »

I have also read this book and your review is perfect.
Anyone lacking background knowledge about mythology would find it really difficult to understand the concept
Edria Dayyinah
Favorite Book: We Were Liars
Currently Reading: Emma
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edria-dayyinah.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Edria Dayyinah »

Getting into the book was tough, but it was still quite enjoyable. Great review!
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I found the writing style quite stiff and the characters unrealistic and bizarre in a bad way. It seemed like there was dialogue for the sake of having dialogue most of the time and it was overall not a book I would recommend. I gave it 2 stars,.
Gloria Tohabru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-tohabru.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Gloria Tohabru »

I have read this book and it was really fascinating. I loved the fact that it was fast paced, and it really piped up my interest. This is an amazing review too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”