Review by abudaniel28 -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery o...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
abudaniel28
Favorite Book: Masters and Bastards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abudaniel28.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Review by abudaniel28 -- Zara Hanson & The Mystery o...

Post by abudaniel28 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol" by J.L. Haynes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every lover of science fiction knows that as a rule, the vast majority of this genre follows a basic modus operandi: the world is in trouble. This is often because it has been, or is about to be invaded by “visitors” from another galaxy. Whatever the reason(s) behind this takeover, this world usually has a hero or heroes who come to its rescue. Traditionally, this unknown saviour is in a state of hibernation until the appointed time when he becomes activated to save it and the entire civilisation. Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J. L. Haynes is an example of such.

As we unlock the riddles inside Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol, readers are acquainted with several mysterious entities. One of such beings is the Elb. They are creatures that have reached the apex of evolution. Their role is to monitor and control the affairs of both the known and unknown universe and uphold the balance of power. They may create or destroy worlds as they deem fit. Another body is the Eyt. It is a group of ancient and powerful civilisations that watch over the Earth, and sometimes, save it. Usually, whenever it is in imminent danger, the Eyt appoints a litigator whose sole purpose is protecting the Earth. This time, it is a unique individual known as Ansebe – an Artificial Nano Synthetic Electrochemical Biological Entity. For this mission to be a success, Ansebe partners with an Earthian – Zara Hanson, later recognised by the Eyt and the exalted ones as Zar-Pyan. The others involved in the operation are Fez-Pyan – Ansebe’s brother, and Sub-Rohza – "a ship with an attitude". Together, the quartet embarks on their mission with the hope of discovering the mystery of the painted symbol and ultimately saving everyone. The fate of the entire human race is literally in their hands.

Honestly, it takes a while to get absorbed into this book. There are lengthy conversations which sometimes result in slow-paced reading. Also, there is a plethora of information and unpronounceable names that lead to confusion. I wish the author had provided a glossary of pronunciations at least. Furthermore, J. L. Haynes goes back and forth in the novel, which was rather overwhelming. I did not like these aspects of the novel. Although to be fair, these annoyances provide background and invaluable information for the story.

There are several things I like about the book. Firstly, there are no unnecessary love storylines or graphic sex scenes. Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J. L. Haynes is about saving the world. Period. Secondly, there are no foul languages, profanities, and vulgarisms. Although this book is science fiction, the language is easy to follow; the scientific jargons are easy to understand without any fuss. Finally, the novel is a well-edited book and professionally proofread. I found no grammar errors or spelling mistakes in it. All these are reasons I am awarding Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J. L. Haynes four out of four stars.

I would recommend this novel to lovers of science fiction and anyone looking for a good storybook. I would also recommend it to young readers who are interested in mythical beings and space travels. On the other hand, I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a quick read or readers who do not have the patience to let stories unfold.

Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”