Official Review: Growth by Jon Pulli

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Growth by Jon Pulli

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Growth" by Jon Pulli.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Melanie, Sebastian, and Carrie are coworkers at the Federal Drug Administration, but they don’t always get along. Michael is a typical student who works with artificial intelligence. Alex and Helen are the greedy leaders of a new drink company. The only thing they have in common is the fact that this energetic drink named Lifio affected all of them. This mysterious substance seemed to have many positive effects, such as preventing and reversing various illnesses. However, Carrie was sure that something was wrong with it, so she convinced her collaborators to pull that drink off the market. Alex, who started the commercialization of Lifio, was furious with the decision, but he was determined to find a solution, no matter what he had to do.

Growth by Jon Pulli is a sci-fi novel about the consequences of the insertion of Lifio in the daily life of an entire society. Some of the effects might be good, but we don’t know if the improvements are worthy of the uncertainties. This book brings the perspectives of all the characters with detailed descriptions of their thoughts and feelings. Therefore, we can’t find only one protagonist since all the characters are indispensable for the plot development.

My favorite aspect of this novel was the author’s meticulous writing. Pulli constantly relates details that might seem insignificant at first, but when we gather all those minor features, we notice they are connected and that they are signs of the future that lies ahead. In my opinion, this aspect shows the author put a lot of effort into this volume. Even though that feature gave clues of the story’s unfolding, the development still caught me off guard. Hence, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that some of my guesses were right, and some of them weren’t.

I couldn't find a single element I didn’t enjoy in this book. It seems professionally edited and beautifully written. I found few errors that didn’t disrupt my reading. I can say with conviction that this is the best book I have read this year. It contains various twists, science theories, unique characters, and a fascinating premise.

Consequently, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a captivating fiction novel that explores the theme of genetic mutations and the advances of science. I recommend it to those adult readers who enjoy single sci-fi books with twists and exceptional character development. However, I don’t recommend it to young readers since it contains profanities and a few scenes with sexual content.

Growth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing this review. I will definitely check out this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel with well-constructed characters and a plot that offers some food for thought about the use of technologies, in this case, the evolution of existing ones such as the CRISPR genetic techniques. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

This book doesn't catch my interest, even though I love science fiction. But, this was an exceptional review nevertheless.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This book offers an interesting story and the fiction involved is just enough to capture my interest. I will check this book out because of the great review.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

I like the theme of this book; the ethics of a potentially deadly drug versus company profit. I like even more that there is a sci-fi twist to this tale. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I love sci-fi, and this book sounds intriguing. I also like that the characters are well developed. Thanks to your great review, I'm adding this book to my want-to-read shelf!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds very compelling. I love plots where you don't realize certain details are important until later. They make fun rereads as well.
ViviVivid
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

This seems like an interesting book. It can be relatable since so many new products get launched on a daily basis. Some of them might end up producing undesirable effects. I love a novel where I get to guess what happens next but turns out completely the opposite. Will be adding this to my TBR. Thank you for the insightful review.
C3cilia
Currently Reading: My "enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c3cilia.html
Latest Review: Divine Simplicity Day 3...Unity In The Community by Yasher Echad El

Post by C3cilia »

The book is so nice and intriguing.The style used portrays the day to day relations among people.I'll check on the book.Great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

Sounds like an interesting concept, you know know what’s in our drinks! Thanks for the great review!
Mohd Sufiyaan
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Mohd Sufiyaan »

This book intriguing all thought it does catch my interest. I love plots where you don't realize certain details are important until later.
GoodLuck ES
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodluck-es.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by GoodLuck ES »

I've never really been a fan of science fiction, but your review is getting me interested in this one. I may just try it out.

Great review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I like the plot of the book, but also the writer's talent and, to some extent, the innovative approach.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

I always thought that energy drinks are not healthy 😂 however, if someone writes a sci-fi book with a plot that is based on an energetic drink, it must be either really bad or really good. Based on your review, it looks like in this case the author managed to create a relatable and enjoyable story. One thing is for sure: I will continue avoiding certain types of drinks!

Thanks for the lovely review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”