Review by Smmwallace -- The Guardians of Erum and the Ca...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Review by Smmwallace -- The Guardians of Erum and the Ca...

Post by Smmwallace »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra" by A Ali Hasan Ali.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra is the self-published first novel by A. Ali Hasan Ali. Set in ancient Arabia, It is a story of undying love, fierce loyalty, and tremendous perseverance.

Fada, a date farmer, and his wife Nada, both in their 30’s and married for many years, are finally blessed with a baby. They name their newborn boy Dileel. One night while they are sleeping, Behas, a powerful jinn master, attempts to kill the infant Dil. Thwarting his attempt, an obscure stranger rescues the baby but then shockingly proceeds to kidnap him. As the stranger is fleeing with Dil, the baby vanishes into thin air. Why is Behas trying to kill the newborn? Why did the stranger rescue him but then take him? And where did baby Dil disappear to? With missing baby Dils life on the line, time is running out. Fada courageously embarks on an uncertain journey to find his son and bring him home, but will he find him in time to save him?

I knew I would enjoy this book as it captivated me right from the beginning and didn't let up. The author chose to write it in the third person narrative, and I'm so glad he did. It allowed the story to flow fluidly, making it easy for the reader to follow. The story takes place in ancient Arabia. I, myself not being familiar with either ancient Arabia or the Arabic language, was a little concerned that I might have a hard time. I was worried for naught. The author did a great job describing different regions, local traditions and translating Arabic words of that timeframe. Per the author, parts of the story were inspired by the Islamic scriptures, which I found interesting. One example is that the Arabic Islamic scriptures inspire most of the powers used by the jinni.

There are many great characters in this book, some I found myself rooting for and some loathing. Either way, I was invested in both. Behas, the main antagonist, is not only a jinn master but a great deceiver. I think the author did a great job of making his character seem suspect yet keeping you wondering if he truly is. Fada, the baby's father, will go to great lengths to try and find his son, and at the beginning of his journey, you can feel his desperation and hopelessness. The author keeps those feelings close to the surface throughout, making it an engaging read. As it takes place in ancient Arabia, I found the storyline believable and prevalent to that era. I also enjoyed learning things along the way! The story is well-paced and kept my interest so much that I found it quite hard to put down.

I have nothing negative to say about this book; I enjoyed everything about it. It appears to be well-edited as I didn't notice any errors. With that being said, if there were, I might have overlooked them, attributing them to the difference in languages. Therefore, I'm happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

There are instances of violence throughout, but nothing unduly explicative. This book is for anyone who appreciates fantasy or historical fiction that contains ancient folklore and magic. This book will also appeal to readers looking to enjoy a fantastic Arabian tale.

The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. I sampled this book before, and its concept is appealing to me. The writing style is nice, too. I can feel Fada's despair when he discovered his wife's death and his son's disappearance.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

This sounds like a great novel. Ancient Arabia intrigues me a lot.

From what i understand, I wouldn't say Islamic scriptures inspire the powers used by the jinni though, as the jinni are what we would call demons or spirits. Just like we wouldn't say the biblical scriptures inspire the powers used by the demons.

I think I would love this book though.

I certainly Loved loved loved reading your review!
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love books about Arabia that have magic elements, like the jinns. You have picked my interest with your engaging review, so that you for your recommendation!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Sou Hi wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 02:24 Thanks for your interesting review. I sampled this book before, and its concept is appealing to me. The writing style is nice, too. I can feel Fada's despair when he discovered his wife's death and his son's disappearance.
If you get a chance, try to read it, you won't be disappointed. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
:tiphat:
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 08:23 I love books about Arabia that have magic elements, like the jinns. You have picked my interest with your engaging review, so that you for your recommendation!
If you get a chance to read it, you won't be disappointed. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

zainherb wrote: 30 Mar 2021, 05:55 This sounds like a great novel. Ancient Arabia intrigues me a lot.

From what i understand, I wouldn't say Islamic scriptures inspire the powers used by the jinni though, as the jinni are what we would call demons or spirits. Just like we wouldn't say the biblical scriptures inspire the powers used by the demons.

I think I would love this book though.

I certainly Loved loved loved reading your review!
I understand your perspective regarding the jinni. My example was one the author himself revealed in the afterword and not of my deduction. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I do appreciate it!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love well-written historical fiction, especially if it is a suspenseful and captivating read as this book seems to be. I think it is one I would enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

Prisallen wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 08:17 I love well-written historical fiction, especially if it is a suspenseful and captivating read as this book seems to be. I think it is one I would enjoy. Thanks for your wonderful review!
I think you should give it a go. You'll like it! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!
63tty
Favorite Author: Tayma Tameem
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 349
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-63tty.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
fav_author_id: 199293

Post by 63tty »

I like that the book has a flow and a unique storyline. Great review. Loved the captivating summary.
“If love is the answer, could you rephrase the question?”
~Lily Tomlin
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:

Post by Smmwallace »

63tty wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 16:34 I like that the book has a flow and a unique storyline. Great review. Loved the captivating summary.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”