Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The Unborn by Tayma Tameem

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unborn" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unborn: Among the Outliers by Tayma Tameem is the second book in a series that continues in a world unlike what we are accustomed to. In this world, the effects of global warming are fully on display, and as a consequence of this global warming, there is a shortage of water. This is how Forge Corporation has placed itself as the leaders and controllers of the world in this story. We follow the story from where the first book ended, revolving around the chaos that ensued in Forge Corporation's compound 17. General Lloyd, in his lust for power, has forcefully taken over compound 17 and has executed some of the directors. Meanwhile, our main characters, Director Jake, his wife, Summer, and his son, Jake Junior, have to take their chances outside the compound, in the desert, and among the outliers (different clans of people that have lived in the desert for years).

Firstly, if you haven't read the first book in this thrilling series, I would advise that you do so before you pick up this one to get a full grasp of the story, even though the author tries as much as possible to explain things through the dialogue and flashbacks.

The story is told in the third-person perspective, just like in the previous book, and is mostly driven by the well-developed characters that we have already grown to love. We also see some major character growth from Junior, as he graduates from the boy who had a comfortable life under his parents' guidance to a man and a leader who had to fight for his life and consider other people every day in the desert. Following his growth was my favorite part of the story.

Tayma Tameem also does well to present an objective view of each character in the story, presenting their good and bad sides while they fight to achieve their goals, mostly revolving around seizing power for themselves. This even creates more uncertainties, and it is worth noting that no character seems unexpendable. This was quite a suspenseful, fast-paced read. Right from the beginning chapters, Tayma Tameem wastes no time in introducing heart-stopping situations and action scenes that will keep you anxious about your favorite characters' lives. One example was seeing Jake grow jealous of his son's growth and leadership qualities while he felt that his crew would betray him in the desert. There were times I wondered if Jake would act on his feelings and choose a thirst for power over his son in that circumstance.

The story also raises some thought-provoking questions about capital punishment. At what point does an offender deserve capital punishment? Is it even something to consider from a moral standpoint? It might seem like an easy question to answer until you understand what those offenders did.

The Unborn: Among the Outliers is an exceptionally well-edited book. I did not encounter any errors while reading. I also cannot think of anything that I dislike about the book and cannot wait for the next book in the series. Therefore, I rate the book four out of four stars. Readers that enjoy fantasy and sci-fi novels will have fun with The Unborn: Among the Outliers. There's no profanity included, so the novel is suitable for a younger audience as well.

The Unborn
View: on Bookshelves
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: The Road to Management
Bookshelf Size: 116

Post by Pandora10 »

Taymar Tameem.is a good writer and her books are quite interesting. I enjoy her character development in the stories. This should be a hit with her fans and those that enjoy the SCI-FI genre. Excellent review on this 2nd book in the series.
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like an interesting read. I really enjoyed your review, great work.
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Thank you for your review. This sounds interesting to see how the author presents the very real danger of climate change in the future. I will check out the first book in the series.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Great review!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Great review! I'll be sure to check out her first book!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an intriguing novel that offers food for thought about ethical and moral issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

This book seems to raise questions on some moral dilemmas facing the world today and it seems like a very thought provoking read. Amazing review, thank you.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds like an explosive futuristic story about climate change. I think I'll read the first book first before reading this. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”