Review by Ilian ZHU -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ilian ZHU
Favorite Book: Legacy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilian-zhu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by Ilian ZHU -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Ilian ZHU »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End is the third book of the dark fantasy saga written by Matthew Tysz.

The book starts with Meldorath. After becoming the new Eiodi leader, he wants to get the notes of an ancient king, notes that could help him to communicate with the world of Carcomentis. But those notes are under the protection of King Wilhelm, who surely would not give up the information.

In the same chapter, the Emperor of lullabies contacts Meldorath through his thoughts. What does he want from him? Perhaps it is the beginning of an alliance against the king?

On the other hand, there is the story of Galen and his friends. They travel to Soulhire to inform the Eiodi or the king about Virko’s situation. But when they arrive at the capital, they get caught up in a debate where the authorities were planning to decide what to do with the refugees from the land of the princes. The king wanted Galen to testify what he experienced in those lands, but the place was attacked before he could give his testimony.

Compared to the previous books of the saga, this book had a much faster development. In Someone Else’s End, the mystery falls on the emperor of lullabies. This character had mentions in the previous books and was always described as the father of the princes that ruled a country in constant war. He was described as a mysterious being. No one knows what he looks like or what his plans are. But in this book that emperor starts moving.

I think the story is picking up a very good pace. In the previous books it seemed as if the land of Voulhire was more important than the main characters, but here the author gave the characters more depth. He gave a first-person narrative to Rowan and Demetrius, which gave them an importance they hadn’t had before. But the main characteristic of the saga is still the world. It is so developed that now the land of Voulhire seems to be not only a scenario. At the beginning, it was a kingdom in its golden age. It projected a steady growth, but now we see how it is in decay while its internal and external conflicts consume it. I think that this development in the scenario gives a special touch to this story. It has managed to endear me not only to the characters but also to the land of Voulhire.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is very well written and certainly looks professionally edited. The reading is easy, although it is loaded with terms specific to the world in which it is set. Matthew Tysz made his characters more realistic by showing the growth and different facets that each of the characters can have.

The only bad thing is that again the ending was very abrupt and the book was very short. The story was left at a pretty exciting part, so I hope to read the next part of the story soon.

We Are Voulhire takes place in a complex world full of magic and political problems. I recommend this book to any lover of fantasy stories with a dark and mysterious tinge. The story told by Matthew Tysz is witty and rich in detail. But I would not recommend it to young readers or someone who wants to read a lighter story.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I also like the fact that now the characters are much better developed and possess a certain depth.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”