Official Review: The Elder Scrolls by A. L. Zuniga

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Official Review: The Elder Scrolls by A. L. Zuniga

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elder Scrolls" by A. L. Zuniga.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zaneta had just arrived in Narsis on a mission to find her children who were stolen, along with twenty-two other children by someone unknown. Zaneta was a Khajiit, and she was taller than most men, and many were taken aback when they saw her. Besides her size, she also had a living shield that could do special powers, and it did not take long for some uncooperative people to realize her strength. Zaneta had known the general direction the abductors had been heading, but now that she was in Narsis, she did not know which way they took the children from there as Narsis is a large city with many roads leading off to other destinations. However, almost everyone she questioned was forthcoming with whatever information they knew. After buying a horse and supplies for her journey, Zaneta set off alone in her search, not knowing the obstacles she would meet along the way or if she could find her children. Can she trust those whom she meets along the way? Do they know more than they are telling her?

The sci-fi/fantasy novel The Elder Scrolls: Zaneta’s Chronicles - Part Two: Edge of Oblivion by A. L. Zuniga is the second book in this series. Zuniga paints a picture of a desperate mother determined to get her children back no matter the cost. The story takes Zaneta’s search step by step through unknown territory, where she meets various characters. Throughout the book, there are illustrations that give the reader a clear picture of why some of those who meet Zaneta are overawed by her appearance, which is that of a large female with catlike features who towers over them and fights through any obstacle that gets in her way. At the beginning of the book, a large map shows the towns Zaneta visits and the massive area she travels in search of her children.

I loved Zaneta’s character; I liked the grit and determination she displayed in searching for her children. Her love for her children is more significant than any obstacle she encounters. I also liked the illustrations in the book and the map at the beginning. It helps the reader follow along with Zaneta from city to city.

My only disappointment with the book was the development of the secondary characters. I found some lackluster and others overly helpful, and their actions did not ring true for their specific roles in the story. The book appeared to have professional editing, as I did not find any errors. There were very mild cursing and no erotic scenes. There were some mildly violent scenes, but nothing too disturbing. You can read this book as a stand-alone; however, I wish I had read the first book in the series, as this one left me with unanswered questions.

Overall, I enjoyed reading The Elder Scrolls: Zaneta's Chronicles - Part Two: Edge of Oblivion by A. L. Zuniga, and I am looking forward to reading the first and next book in this series. For the excellent editing and the development of Zaneta’s character, the illustrations, and the reference map, I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to sci-fi/fantasy fans from early teens through adults. However, I suggest reading the first book in the series before reading this one. I don’t recommend it to anyone under the age of thirteen because of the mild profanity and violence.

The Elder Scrolls
View: on Bookshelves
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel in which I can imagine the tension given by the abduction of children. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Smmwallace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smmwallace.html
Latest Review: Cosmander and The Crown by Meade Summers

Post by Smmwallace »

I love reading sci-fi/fantasy novels, and this one sounds intriguing. I feel I could relate to Zaneta's character, being a fellow mom. I also would let nothing stand in my way if I were trying to find my missing children. Thank you for your great review; I'll add it to my want-to-read shelf!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Another book that reminds me of Skyrim! I would love to read this. Considering the positives, I want to read this even more.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 06:00 This seems like an engaging novel in which I can imagine the tension given by the abduction of children. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Smmwallace wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 07:15 I love reading sci-fi/fantasy novels, and this one sounds intriguing. I feel I could relate to Zaneta's character, being a fellow mom. I also would let nothing stand in my way if I were trying to find my missing children. Thank you for your great review; I'll add it to my want-to-read shelf!
Thanks for stopping by and commenting! It was an interesting book. I am getting ready to read book three.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

RayRuff wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 06:22 Another book that reminds me of Skyrim! I would love to read this. Considering the positives, I want to read this even more.
It was an interesting book I wish I had read book one first, though. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Khaiden T
Favorite Author: Olaf Stapledon
Currently Reading: The Return of the King
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaidentajigen.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem
fav_author_id: 39743

Post by Khaiden T »

I am a beginner when it comes to the Elder Scrolls videogames, as I have only played the MMORPG: The Elder Scrolls Online, and there's a ton of the game's story I haven't seen yet. With that being said, though, I've become familiarized with the setting and know very well what a Khajiit is, and the other sentient races that inhabit that world.

To now find out there are novels that have compelling stories like this is great. It would be lovely to see Zaneta show up as a non-player character in a game (if she hasn't already!). I'll be interested to read the book too, because I'm curious to see if she speaks in the signature Khajiit manner: referring to herself in the third person and constantly using "this one" to refer to herself.

Thanks for the review! This looks like a worthy read.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

KhaidenTajigen wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 20:00 I am a beginner when it comes to the Elder Scrolls videogames, as I have only played the MMORPG: The Elder Scrolls Online, and there's a ton of the game's story I haven't seen yet. With that being said, though, I've become familiarized with the setting and know very well what a Khajiit is, and the other sentient races that inhabit that world.

To now find out there are novels that have compelling stories like this is great. It would be lovely to see Zaneta show up as a non-player character in a game (if she hasn't already!). I'll be interested to read the book too, because I'm curious to see if she speaks in the signature Khajiit manner: referring to herself in the third person and constantly using "this one" to refer to herself.

Thanks for the review! This looks like a worthy read.
I am not a fantasy fan, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I have just finished book 3! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”