Review by EvaReads -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evareads.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Review by EvaReads -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by EvaReads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Turn is the first book of a series by Matthew Tysz. It is a story about a post-apocalyptic world with an element of horror. It is based on a horrifying incident known as "the turn" which has caused the sun to suddenly disappear. Everything around has become dark and nobody knows what has caused this. Many people were killed and those who survived experienced negative and bizarre psychological changes.

Scholar is one of the survivors of the horrific event. When the turn occurred, he was living in a basement apartment so he had no idea about the events that took place. Ashley is a Wall Street womanizer. He somehow managed to train himself to survive in this post-apocalyptic world. Cattleprod, who was earlier a teacher, now turned into a slave trader. The paths of these three characters intertwine as they adapt, survive, and try to find their way through their unique journey.

The story starts slow making it hard to grasp what is exactly happening. It is difficult to stay engaged sometimes. The book is written in the first-person narrative( switching between different perspectives of each character in every chapter). The storyline talks about politics, selfishness, and the horrors of human existence. The author has done a fantastic job with all his descriptions. The characters are extremely well-developed which makes the readers get attached to them quickly.

The events happening around, and the scenarios have been described in such great detail that you almost feel you are right there in the scene and everything is happening just in front of your eyes. The character's thoughts describing a particular event make the setting come alive and it feels as though you're watching a movie. What I like the most about this book is how the bond between Ashley and Scholar develops. As it evolves it becomes a beautiful and powerful relationship, even though they are reluctant to recognize it to each other. I was always eager to read their part in the story.

Considering all the points mentioned above, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author has done a splendid job developing the plot, the characters, and the detailed scenarios. There is nothing to dislike about this book. However, it does contain profanity and plenty of graphic scenes so I would not recommend it to a young or sensitive audience. This book has been well edited as I came across quite a few minor errors. If you like fantasy with a twist of horror, this story is going to be an adventurous ride for you.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”