Review by Ana Victoria2002 -- Shield Down

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Review by Ana Victoria2002 -- Shield Down

Post by Laura Britos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Is this the end? Will radiation surely kill the human race or will bureaucracy and the lies of the people we trust endanger our lives first? Has our government been lying to us all these years? Is science no longer searching for progress? These are some of the questions that arise when reading Shield Down by William de Berg. A fantastical science fiction piece that is most suitable for physics and space die-hard fans. It is an absolute page-turner that deals with a menacing space discovery that could erase humans from the face of Earth.

My favorite aspect is how it showcases the reality and the struggles many scientists have to face when developing new theories and backing them up. It gave a realistic portrayal of how harsh the world of science can be and how it is still biased even in this century.
Besides, the level of description and development in this book made it absolutely fascinating for me. Everything is explained so well that even for me, someone without the foggiest idea about the scientific world enjoyed each and every chapter.

My only problem with this story was the amount of technical jargon and scientific talk in the book. It was a tad difficult for me to understand some theories and dialogues between the characters. However, I saw it as a challenge to learn more terminology and facts about astrophysics and such. But sometimes I felt like needing to pause my reading because it was too much information thrown to the reader but it was not that big of a nuisance.

One of the details of the book that made it stand out from other pieces was the amount of historic and scientific facts and even the footnotes on almost every page. It was engrossing to learn about space, gamma rays, the universe, underground colonies, etc. Each and every paragraph has been written with care and love.

All in all, this story has been one of my favorites. The author made a successful effort in describing and making the plot understandable for people without the foggiest idea about space. The author conveys such an important message which is actually written in chapter 12: Whatever happened to defending the scientific truth?”
An interesting and controversial book that poses the question: Can humanity save itself?. I give this masterpiece a 4 out of 4 stars.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”