Review by The_Vivian -- Shield Down by William de Berg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Review by The_Vivian -- Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Shield down is a thrilling dystopian science fiction by Williams de berg. It is a book that describes the aftermath of a social breakdown caused by the eruption of a magnetar SGR 0245 + 05 (a type of neutron star believed to have an extremely powerful magnetic field), which is close to the earth’s solar system. This magnetar erupts powerful gamma radiation which threatens the earth’s magnetic field.

The first eruption caught the attention of an Astrophysicist Professor James Alan Templeton (the protagonist), and he decided to pay more attention to it. His research led him to discover that the eruption occurs every 25 years and that the eruption was extremely dangerous to the existence of mankind. Based on this he decides to warn people with his predictions in his publication, but there were a lot of fierce oppositions to it, especially from the astrophysical community. Some persons believed in him as well, but he was too occupied with his search for safety (Underground settlements) to notice. Finally, the eruption came one afternoon and caused massive destruction, and that was the beginning of the end of society as they knew it. With chaos and fear everywhere, who will survive this eruption? Will the underground be conducive enough for mankind? How many underground colonies will make it to the end? Find out as you read this enthralling book by Williams de berg.

This book is one with a lot of clear descriptions of the chaos and fear that comes with the want for survival. There were a lot of amazing and fascinating characters introduced as each chapter went by. The quest of the professor to continue his search despite the opposition and the tarnishing of his image also made him an endearing character to look out for. The book in itself is quite gripping, informative, and thought-provoking.

I may not be completely into science fiction, but I liked the author’s writing style, I loved how descriptive he was of the chaos caused by the characters' will to survive what seemed like the end of the world to them. I disliked nothing about this book as it was exceptionally flawless.

It was professionally edited with only a few errors and for that, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I could not in my right mind give it a lower rating because the book in itself deserves more stars. Based on the above, I will recommend this book to persons who are into dystopian sci-fi novels. I do not however recommend it to children younger than the age of 15. It may prove quite difficult for them to understand.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: Cultural Chauvinism by Minabere Ibelema

Post by markodim721 »

It’s great that the author has worked out the characters well. It raises the quality of every book.
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Echoes of laughter
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ANOTHER Nun's Story by Beth Warren
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This is such a detailed and insightful review. Thank you for the recommendation. I might find the time to read this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”