Review by The frant1c reader -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by The frant1c reader -- We are Voulhire: A New A...

Post by The frant1c reader »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Science and magic - both characterised by intrigue, mystery, curiosity and in the knowledge of which lies tremendous potential, power that could serve the learner in unimaginable ways. Yet, they are separated apart - perhaps due to their likeness - by a constant repulsive force like that of the same poles of two different magnets; Similar yet immiscible. What would be the result if these two powerful entities collaborated?

We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies by Matthew Tysz introduces its readers to a fantasyland, a world enriched by a fine blend of science and magic. Our journey begins with 'Galen Bray', one of the many lead characters in the storyline, exploring the new lands of Voulhire after escaping a war-torn land, 'The land of Princes. With the hope of uniting with his last remaining kin, Galen sets foot on the Voulhirian city named Magnum Caelum. This new abode offers peace and stability to his so far tragic life but amidst all the beauty and riches of this country lies secrets, fear, selfish personal and political agendas and an extremely powerful and notorious villain.

The storyline advances in the form of monologues and experiences of the main characters in the book. The narrative jumps from one character to another - all of whom have different perspectives, belong to different hierarchical classes, have varied mindsets and different sets of challenges as well. Readers are surely gifted with an overall experience as it helps to connect with the characters and their beliefs on a deeper level. It grants a better sense of their personalities and their evolution throughout the length of the story. However, little is understood regarding Galen's influence and role in the story. Perhaps this would be evident as the story gradually unfolds in the sequels to this book.

I couldn't help but complain about naming certain characters with modern names like Mendelson, Rita etc. as they feel not only odd- considering the historical and fantasy theme but also inconsistent compared to the nomenclature of the rest of the elements in the story. But this fact in no way affects the storyline and the characters in the book, so we can happily set aside this minor drawback.

Along with fantasy and adventure themes like politics, history, and drama bring the entire story to a whole new level. The poignant theme of the storyline adds deeper meaning to philosophical and abstract concepts like gratitude, hope, desire etc. At the same time, efforts have been put into developing a culturally rich background where unique specialities and traditions are practised by groups of people across varied geographical regions. I genuinely loved this effort to lift every possible aspect of the story, be it the characters or their manner of speech or even the way they address each other at different corners of the country. The story could be a little slow-paced for some readers but it gradually speeds up. For me, the pace was not a problem.

If you like fantasy, adventure, political drama or historical themes, I would recommend you to read We are Voulhire: A new arrival under great skies by Matthew Tysz. This book contains profanity and certain themes not advisable for the younger and sensitive audience. It has almost no grammatical errors and seems to be professionally edited. Considering everything mentioned in this review so far, I would happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I am excited to discover the proceeding plotlines of the story so sequels to this book are eagerly awaited!

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

I just finished this book, and I really enjoyed reading the funny parts with Eldus and Rowan.
Thank you for your review.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
aodonnell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aodonnell.html
Latest Review: Cristos Rising by B.T. Findley

Post by aodonnell »

I agree the story was slow in some parts. But I think this can be a common challenge in the first in a fantasy series, as the author has to take time to adequately build the world. I suspect the pace of the story will speed up as the series continues. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
The frant1c reader

Dzejn_Crvena wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 05:55 I just finished this book, and I really enjoyed reading the funny parts with Eldus and Rowan.
Thank you for your review.
Thanks for dropping by :D
~Dune.
The frant1c reader

aodonnell wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 10:35 I agree the story was slow in some parts. But I think this can be a common challenge in the first in a fantasy series, as the author has to take time to adequately build the world. I suspect the pace of the story will speed up as the series continues. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
I totally agree with this. However the story was pretty captivating so the pace never posed as a problem. Thanks for passing by! :tiphat:
~Dune.
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

I've enjoyed reading your review! You bring out your reading experience with this book so well that I also want to read it, too.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”