Official Review: Jon Bragg Blue Essence by Kenney Myers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Official Review: Jon Bragg Blue Essence by Kenney Myers

Post by Saint Bruno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jon Bragg Blue Essence" by Kenney Myers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jon Bragg's life seems unexciting, but he is fine with it. In school, most people regard him as a nerd. Even at home, his sick grandfather had just become his roommate on his sixteenth birthday. Thankfully, Jon finds solace in reading books and writing poems. But after his sixteenth birthday, it appears his poems are beginning to come true. In his poetry journal, Jon writes about getting a car of his own and can't believe his luck when his parents gift him a car the next day. Could this be a coincidence, or is there something Jon doesn't know about himself?

Coach Locke is the new PE teacher in Jon's school. He immediately replaces Mr. Keith, whose gruesome death is still a mystery. His son, Dustin, is Jon's new classmate who seems to be stronger than everyone in the school. Dustin wonders why his father, an Olympic gold medalist, had turned down many high-paying jobs to become a PE teacher in a small town. What could his father be planning? And what does destiny hold for Dustin and Jon?

I am happy to report that Jon Bragg Blue Essence by Kenney Myers provided me with a thrilling and satisfying reading experience. The first thing I noticed about the book is the author's engaging writing style. With each new chapter, the author's narrations became more engrossing. He creates and maintains an atmosphere of suspense that made me attempt to finish reading the book in one sitting. But since I also didn't want the novel to finish, I had to force myself to do something else before returning to continue my read.

The author alternates between Jon and Dustin's points of view throughout the book, which helps the reader to understand the lives of these two contrasting characters better. I enjoyed how excellently the author portrayed the thoughts of teenagers in this novel. I couldn't stop laughing at their ways of reasoning and also became nostalgic about my teenage years. If you like books that make you chuckle, please read this one.

Another aspect of this book that is worth commending is its characterization. The main characters are well developed and lifelike, and I like that the author didn't include too many of them. While most readers would love Jon, I think his friend, Marc, is the kind of friend everyone would wish to have. I couldn't believe how much I feared for their safety and wished I could alert them of danger. Good job, Mr. Myers.

My favorite aspect of this tale is its satisfying end. I wasn't disappointed at all. The story ended well and didn't leave me with unanswered questions. In conclusion, there wasn't anything I disliked about this intriguing novel. The book seems professionally edited because I found only two errors in it. Therefore, I am glad to rate Jon Bragg Blue Essence 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this novel to fantasy readers, especially young adults who enjoy stories with elements of Norse mythology.

Jon Bragg Blue Essence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging fantasy novel with great characters, especially if you like Norse mythology. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I absolutely love your review! The story sounds entertaining as I don't believe I've read a book with Norse mythology yet. I like multiple perspectives as well!
โ€œMemories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.โ€โ€• Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I detect a similarity between this book and the Percy Jackson series. I'm glad that the story had well-developed characters and a thrilling plot.

Thank you for an excellent review.
๐Ÿ˜
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
โ€• Horace Mann
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

Interesting. I've seen this premise of writing coming true through a few different mediums, but a story about adolescents could be a fresh take, especially if it is a humorous book with strong characters. Thank you for your review!
GreatReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatreviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by GreatReviews »

Reading books that reference or remind me of my teen years and how such reason would really thrills. And I do love remembering those memories. It will even help in handling teenagers with their reasoning nature. Thanks for this review
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Megan and the Broken Snowflake Factory by Karla Ridpath

Post by Joy Phill »

It's great to find books that live up to expectations. Thanks for a detailed review.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A story about a teen whose writings come true. The premise seems intriguing. I think it becomes all the more interesting because we get to situate ourselves inside the thoughts of a teenager. Great review!
Jennifer Aldo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-aldo.html
Latest Review: War Tower by Joseph Leo DeCelle

Post by Jennifer Aldo »

Why do I feel that this is the beginning of a very interesting series? I really like the plot and would love to read.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an intriguing plot with wonderful characters. Great review!
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by smolbird »

I absolutely love your review! This book is teeming with mystery and I'm all for it. Thank you for the recommendation.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
SamaylaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samaylam.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by SamaylaM »

A book that narrates an engaging tale, with great character development and a satisfying end, really does sound like a wonderful read. I'm definitely interested in the suspense surrounding Jon Bragg. Thank you for such a delightfully great review!
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Woo la la la! I think I will definitely enjoy this one. Thank you for such an insightful review.
Chizioboli
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chizioboli.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chizioboli »

I wish to be Jon already ๐Ÿคฃ....I could finally get to put my poetic skill to use and wish to life all that I want. Thank you for this mind blowing review and I look forward to reading this book soon
Heidadela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidadela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Heidadela »

It sounds like a book laden with mystery. I love mysteries so it it my kind of a book. Thank you for an amazing review of the book.

Return to โ€œSci-Fi and Fantasy Booksโ€