Review by Night_mage -- Shield Down by William de Berg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Night_mage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-night-mage.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Review by Night_mage -- Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Night_mage »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shield Down by William de Berg explores a sudden apocalypse caused by the explosion of a star. It centers on the scientists who monitored the star, expecting massive destruction while the world stood oblivious. What could be the cost of telling people to prepare ahead? Knowing that preemptive actions may cause panic and a massive attack if proven false. Would hiding the possibility of an end better? Not everyone will believe. But those who are prepared will live a little longer. Those who are not will perish in a slow death.

What I like most about the story is that it tries to explain the scientific terms in a concise sense, even adding footnotes for reference. It may be a little distracting to some though. The writing appeals to the average reader. The tone, casual and engaging. You would expect highfalutin terms but the book tried to make it easily understandable. I like the narration in the story and the transitions. There is a coherence that makes you continue to read the book in one sitting if you can. I am not a fan of science fiction, but this one made me like it. It draws anyone into the story.

There is a gradual procession to the story, the small angles ultimately lead to the climax and finally, a resolution that befits the start. There are existential questions throughout the book that makes you think. Especially with the events today, it made me wonder if, after all the chaos happening around the globe, this might be the one we should be looking out for. The possibility is endless. The story also gives substance somehow to conspiracy theories. It made me think that there might be something that I need to know.

I honestly do not have anything to say against the book. The characters are a reflection of what we see in our society today. You may be able to relate to the scientists who, knowing that the masses would panic or would not believe them, quietly prepared for the end. You may also find them repulsive for hiding the truth. What could be the best course of action? The dilemma could be crippling. What could be the best for the greater people?

Given all that, I'd say this book is easily a 4 out of 4. It looks professionally edited. I think this book would appeal to anyone who enjoys science fiction, little to no romance and a dash of adventure.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”