Official Review: Okyins Odyssey by S. Anim Addo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
equilibrium_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-equilibrium-01.html
Latest Review: Trusting Claire by Alyssa Hall

Official Review: Okyins Odyssey by S. Anim Addo

Post by equilibrium_01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Okyins Odyssey" by S. Anim Addo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Okyins Odyssey by S. Anim Addo follows an 18 year old boy, Okyin, into this journey to find a way back home. The adventure begins by a betrayal from his own reflection that is from a different world than modern-day Earth. Only a few words were given to him by his reflection, called Niyko, before a mirror ordeal causing both the reflections to switch worlds.

Okyin’s new world consists of Gods and fate deciding the lives of mortals in a comparable pre-colonial and pre-historic type of setting. Fate assigns Ananse, the God of spiders, to save Okyin from Eshu, who is a shapeshifter and the God of crossroads who is represented by a chameleon while disguising himself up as a child-like king. Niyko was Eshu’s acolyte and so Eshu wanted nothing more than revenge and power. He planed to do so by first making use of Okyin’s belongings from Earth then kill him.

The book was definitely exciting and thrilling until the very end! The story was based on African myth, lore and culture which gave a mythical yet sacred feel to the story. Use of magic, action, battle, war, and fate illustrated a significant theme of power-struggle between royalties and commoners as well as between choice and destiny. It was interesting to see personification of Gods showcasing that life leaves no one mercy!

As much as I admired the story, they were so many aspects about it that needs to be addressed and was hard to ignore. Grammar and poorly-edited chapters were the main thing. Misuse of lowercasing and uppercasing were constant throughout and there was even a typo where an entire paragraph was repeated word-for-word right after the original. This made reading the book a great challenge.

Some other aspects the book can improve upon is the ending and incorporations of side characters including their stories. The ending ended so abruptly with many loose-ends of the introduced secondary characters. For example Meji-Rahida, Alifsofa, and Aruaba could have had more involvement in the ending. Despite all that, the story holds a lot of potential so hopefully I only read the first draft and by the time others read it major changes have been made!

The story is promising and is capable of becoming something big, but for now I give Okyins Odyssey by S. Anim Addo a 2 out of 4 stars. So many errors and weak developments in secondary characters needs attention. I really did enjoy reading it, but only once I was able to get over the distracting typos. Once that is addressed, I would recommend this book to young adults or those interested in mythical/historical stories as reading the real-life relation of the new world and Earth was fascinating! There is some mild profanity and faint sexual content that is much suited for older readers. It defiantly has so much potential but needs so much more editing!

Okyins Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel with good potential that needs some more serious editing, including proofreading, to properly develop it. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

Interesting premise. Guess it needs to be proofread a couple of times. Would be a little bit annoying seeing so many mistakes. Thank you for your review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

I love the cover art, and the premise sounds really intriguing, so I hope the author takes the time to make a readable version so readers can fully appreciate the story. Thanks for the informative and thorough review!
equilibrium_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-equilibrium-01.html
Latest Review: Trusting Claire by Alyssa Hall

Post by equilibrium_01 »

I'm glad to see people finding my review helpful, thanks everyone!
Malve
Currently Reading: Onyx
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malve.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Malve »

It's a shame how a lack of editing can destroy a book. In itself, however, the story sounds very exciting. Thanks for your great review. 

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”