Review by Drianie -- Shield Down by William de Berg

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: The Sun at Twilight by N.L. Holmes

Review by Drianie -- Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Drianie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Shield Down" by William de Berg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shield Down is a science fiction novel that masterfully presents a seemingly impossible scenario as possible. Professor Templeton first discovered SGR 0245+05 in 1982 when it projected a minor burst in close proximity to Earth. Based on his research, this magnetar follows a 25-year cycle with a series of small-scale eruptions that will lead to a catastrophic explosion with devastating effects on Earth. In 2032 the magnetar finally erupts with its final burst. Now seventy-seven-years old, Professor Templeton fears the worst for humanity.

Professor Templeton’s controversial research has left him with a somewhat questionable reputation among experts. Unbeknownst to him, his former lover and most harsh critic took his findings seriously. With her prominent position at NASA, Jacqueline convinced the government to secretly begin construction on various underground habitats in preparation for this cataclysmic event. Likewise, Bazany, one of Templeton’s former students, began his construction on a cave system in Texas to hopefully preserve a small group of people. With all this preparation underway, will these safe havens prove viable in sustaining life while Earth recovers? Exactly how long will they need to survive underground before they can expect to return to the surface?

The premise initially intrigued me, and upon finishing the novel, I found that the execution quite surprised me. William de Berg adopted a serious tone in presenting his vision of an apocalyptic event resulting in a sobering reading experience. The first part of the narrative focuses on events before the final burst, with the second part focusing on the aftermath. Part one contained quite a bit of scientific jargon and exposition, but I encourage readers to soldier through these sections as it lays a thick foundation for the story. Professor Templeton and his companions are often at odds with NASA and other leading experts, and I found their research and reasoning fascinating. My favorite part was Bazany’s detailed construction of his cave system. I quickly realized that being fully prepared for an uninhabitable Earth is nearly an impossible feat to accomplish.

Part two was by far the most engaging for me. We first follow Templeton as he tries to make his way back home from Washington to Boulder. This task proved difficult as the burst caused a total grid shutdown. With no way of communicating and almost no electronic systems working, the author did an excellent job at portraying society's descent into desperation and destruction. I also found the various obstacles the underground facilities had to deal with fascinating. As for the ending, I will leave it to readers to discover what the author envisions as the ultimate outcome for humanity.

I couldn't find anything to dislike about this novel. The author doesn’t sugarcoat anything about this devastating event. He leaves you with much to think about as he opens your eyes to the possible outcomes of an apocalyptic event at this scale. I think he portrayed humanity’s slow descent into darkness exceptionally well. I felt the horror as food became scarce, and plants, crops, animals, and people began to die because of the radiation. I felt the hopelessness of the characters as I discovered along with them that it was only going to get worse.

I award Shield Down the highest rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I believe it was professionally edited since I only found three errors while reading. The story is free of graphic violence, but it does contain some profanity. It is not a light-hearted novel but rather a thought-provoking narrative that emphasizes the importance of taking care of Earth, our only home. Solid science fiction fans who enjoy realistic accounts of apocalyptic events will appreciate what this novel has to offer. All things considered, this is a novel I will not soon forget.

Shield Down
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Stubborn children by Norio Ando

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Your review perfectly explains what this book is about. I am glad to see that you enjoyed it just as much as I did. Now we have 11 years left to prepare ourselves to go underground :-).
Joy Phill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-phill.html
Latest Review: Countess Tyrone And The Earls by may Cassidy

Post by Joy Phill »

I hope we never have to face such a catastrophe. It's sad that the earth is being ruined day by day. Thanks for a well-written review.
Mbrooks2518
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 352
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: How The Hell Did I Get Here? by Anthony Aguirre

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I'm not a fan of apocalyptic stories. Great review, though!
Saint Bruno
2021 Reading Goal: 150
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Echoes of laughter
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: ANOTHER Nun's Story by Beth Warren
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This review is both detailed and insightful. I am looking forward to reading the title. Thank you for the recommendation.
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Yvonne Monique wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 06:40 Your review perfectly explains what this book is about. I am glad to see that you enjoyed it just as much as I did. Now we have 11 years left to prepare ourselves to go underground :-).
If that is the case, then I doubt I would make it :D . I wouldn't even know where to start! :eusa-think: But yes, the book is thought-provoking and a great read. Thanks for commenting!
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Joy Phill wrote: ↑22 Feb 2021, 14:06 I hope we never have to face such a catastrophe. It's sad that the earth is being ruined day by day. Thanks for a well-written review.
I agree. Earth is our only home, and this book so clearly emphasizes that fact. Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: ↑23 Feb 2021, 00:39 I'm not a fan of apocalyptic stories. Great review, though!
Indeed, this genre is not for everyone, but thanks for reading my review and commenting! :tiphat:
Drianie
Currently Reading:

Post by Drianie »

Saint Bruno wrote: ↑23 Feb 2021, 01:59 This review is both detailed and insightful. I am looking forward to reading the title. Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks! It is a slower-paced novel, but really interesting and well worth your time. Thanks for engaging! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”