Official Review: Armageddon and Beyond by Adam Declerck

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
damis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Armageddon and Beyond by Adam Declerck

Official Review: Armageddon and Beyond by Adam Declerck

Post by damis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Armageddon and Beyond" by Adam Declerck.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The end of the world is a catchy subject. Aliens, natural disasters, angels and demons, and wars are the protagonists of countless stories. Humans have an inner desire to understand what's going to happen. And to be fair, we live in such a hard time that it is no wonder our mind wanders in that direction.

Armageddon and Beyond by Adam Declerck is a particular approach to the subject. Is it your classic good against evil kind of book? Well, yes, and no. I have to admit, the book as a whole gives a strong black and white vibe when it comes to the way things should be. However, there is a very refreshing emphasis on the importance of balance in the universe. Light and darkness engage a battle that will define the destiny of all life-forms once and for all.

First of all, I need to clarify this is not a religious novel, nor is it based on the Bible's apocalypse. To my understanding, in the novel, there's no God, no angels, no demons, just light fighting darkness, and both energies complementing each other to bring balance.

The book begins with a timeline. It describes millenniums of human history leading to the final events. A detailed description of humanity's evolution, I have to admit, reading that first chapter was draining. It made me feel like reading a bad history book. There were several pages of fact after fact with no dialogue or plot whatsoever. It almost made me want to put the book down. Thankfully the book gets better as the actual story develops.

It isn't all downsides, though. I loved how powerful women are in the book. Both female and male characters are equally relevant, and that's something hard to find in this genre. Both the creators of light and darkness are female figures. I also have to point out the book is outstandingly well edited. Of course, in such a long book, there have to be some errors. However, they were not bad enough to be considered an issue.

I have to be honest here. I think the book could easily be half its size if the overexplaining and forced descriptions were omitted. They are unnecessary. That's why even with the good editorial work, I will have to rate the book three out of fourstars.

As for the trigger warnings, there are quite a few worth mentioning. There are constant abuse mentions, explicit sexual content, and gruesome violence. It is clear to me that the author wrote this book with an adult audience in mind. If any of these subjects cause you discomfort, you might want to pick up a different book.

Armageddon and Beyond
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sssns
Currently Reading: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sssns »

The concept of energies complementing to strike a balance sounds promising. I appreciate the trigger warnings. Thanks for the insights.
smolbird
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by smolbird »

With so many novels that revolve around the concept of angels and demons warring against each other, the lack of those elements is a very interesting concept. Thanks for the recommendation.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: The crew of the HST DARČEK by Robert Marsolais

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I like apocalypsis stories but going by your review, I am unsure if I would like this book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Tiamat's Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Lion’s Share by Dr Yusra Said Ammar

Post by NetMassimo »

Considering that the theme is not exactly original, an overlong novel is not particularly attractive. Some more editing might make wonders. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”