Review by odlanra -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
odlanra
Favorite Book: Carbynarah Chronicles
Currently Reading: All In Divine Order
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odlanra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Review by odlanra -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by odlanra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I selected the book We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz from a group of fantasy books precisely because of the term “Voulhire”. What could it be? Voulhire is a place where there are knights, yet there are buildings, restaurants, skyscrapers, and microscopes. A powerful mage, Meldorath, decided to act decisively and obtain the information to reach the magic universe. Unable to talk to Meldorath, Demetrius, a monk capable of doing magic; together with Galen, a martial artist, and Rowan, an expert archer, decided to ask the help of King Wilhelm of Voulhire. Meanwhile, Nartik, the second adviser to the king, has been hearing the Emperor of Lullabies in his dreams. Throughout all of these, a group of rebel soldiers, Riva, was attacking Mianora, powerful army of Voulhire, with the final objective of destroying the kingdom. In the end, some would be able to achieve their objectives. Some simply benefitted from the outcome. Some would escape the turmoil of the outcome, living to continue. Some would stay with the outcome and perhaps would do something again when the right time comes.

This volume did raise my desire to continue reading the complete series. The end of the story completed the short main story-line. But it provided much more, and left some more hanging for the reader to continue imagining.

But I found the volume too brief. Specifically, I found no trace of ulterior motives and character, emotional turmoil, principled and excellent behavior against odds, of the would-be heroes. And really, I am just guessing who would be the heroes. Consequently, I experienced no feeling of inspiration, admiration, and heroism. It is perhaps my fault since I hurriedly chose this third volume and not the first. Perhaps, what I am looking for was developed in the other volumes. Perhaps, the whole volume itself is just a mere part of the development of the complete series. Still, I wish that it would be more deeply appealing to the emotions of the reader.

I have found that the magic in the story is more of magic in battle scenes, e.g. balls of white energy, bolts of light, and unimaginable strength common in cartoon movies. I found it lacking in other fantasies, especially fantasy of wonder. The main fantasy is more of horrors. I was almost inclined to exaggerate and classify the story as a horror rather than a fantasy. Even the Emperor of Lullabies has creatures of horrors instead of creatures of wonders as his title sweetly connotes, and is perceived by someone like me. Of course this is a personal opinion. I am sure a lot would contradict me. And probably, I am asking for too much. Still, I would prefer that the volume on its own would have a variety of uncommon, if not amazing, magic and fantasy.

I like that there are profound ideas on issues on customs, politics, religion, and existence. Examples of which are:“My family engaged in religion as a novel luxury, a status symbol. I always knew it was empty”; No walls or tethers are holding us to the choices we make.”; and “How does one bring a law-abiding citizen to break the social compact?" But I wished that all of them were discussed completely. Some of them were too short or vague. I have to read again the part to understand completely the idea and agree or not.

I found no errors and every sentence could be understood. I am giving it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Just as I have noted, I wish and I am still looking for something. But I still did enjoy the book. Perhaps, I would have not been looking for more if I started reading in sequence. And the book did raise my interest in reading the whole series.

Because it is a book that tells of the magic of horrors, and because there is an instance of a description of the result of brutal violence similar to terrorist activities, I would be very careful in recommending it below the legal age of maturity.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

If you enjoyed this you should definitely check out the previous books! It will give you more background on what's happening. I am enjoying the story very much and I can not wait to start the fourth book. :D
Thank you for a very well written review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
odlanra

Post by odlanra »

Thanks! RayRuff! I am. I am reading the first book.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

I've enjoyed reading the first two books of the series. This is the third one I believe. After reading your review I can't wait to read the book! Thanks for the review
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I have read this book and absolutely loved it. Thank you for sharing.
odlanra

Post by odlanra »

Thank you for the comments!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”