Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Moray_001
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Official Review: The Time Stone by Jeffrey Estrella

Post by Moray_001 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Time Stone" by Jeffrey Estrella.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Time Stone is a sci-fi/fantasy novel written by Jeffrey Estrella. The story focuses on a group of four individuals. First is James Timewalker, whose surname is a dead giveaway for his role in the book. He is also homeless and does not enjoy the basic amenities in life, let alone luxuries. Second is Tina Prescott, a call girl who dabbles into crime occasionally. The third is Mercedes Gonzalez, who finds herself unexplainably deported. Finally, there is Drax Milton, a former employee of Temporo Inc.

The first thought that struck my mind while reading is that there are way too many characters. It was hard to keep track of all of them. The writer included so many minor characters that seem like major characters. An example is Sylvia Armstrong, a reporter who genuinely seemed to have a grand purpose in the story. However, she disappears afterwards.

James and Tina were the only ones in the group that seemed to have anything in common, homelessness. The Time Stone group were an unlikely blend of individuals. I found it a bit annoying that Tina nearly always had to prompt James to use his powers. It happened so often after he had gotten quite used to them.

I enjoyed reading about the different points in time that the group explored. There was a lot of adventure! The writer did a good job describing so many eras of time. I must say it takes a lot of imagination to do that.

The aspects I did not enjoy are more than those that I liked though. For example, the instant attractions between characters and the few romances that seemed very forced. A prime example of this is the romance between Mercedes and Juan Carlos. It would have been better if the writer gave them time to grow their love than jump into it. I did not even comprehend the marriage proposal that Juan Carlos presented to Mercedes. It was out of the blue and happened in just a few pages!

The same goes for the sudden attraction and love between James and Celia. It would have been easier to connect emotionally with characters whose love grows over time. All the mentions of romance in the book were instantaneous and unrealistic.

In addition to the instant romances, there was also a lot of scientific grammar that was difficult to follow. The story also wasn't as enjoyable as I expected. Furthermore, the book needs a lot more editing. That is why I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

I recommend it for those who love adventure and science. If that is not your cup of tea, then you might pick up another book.

The Time Stone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Drianie
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes

Post by Drianie »

It seems like the author needs some time to clearly think about the plot and characters and how they should blend and develop over time. Having a professional look it over and give some helpful advice might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the honest review!
sssns
Currently Reading: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sssns.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by sssns »

I wonder if the instant romances intend to offset the science part. I hope the recommendations are addressed accordingly. Thanks for the insights and honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Tiamat's Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Lion’s Share by Dr Yusra Said Ammar

Post by NetMassimo »

I understand your complaints: if I read science fiction or fantasy stories, I don't want to find cheap soap-opera-like elements. This novel has potential, but it's burdened by its flaws, so it needs more editing. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Moray_001
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Moray_001 »

Drianie wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 05:53 It seems like the author needs some time to clearly think about the plot and characters and how they should blend and develop over time. Having a professional look it over and give some helpful advice might not be a bad idea. Thanks for the honest review!
I agree. The story should be polished up a bit. You're welcome.
Moray_001

Post by Moray_001 »

sssns wrote: 02 Feb 2021, 20:45 I wonder if the instant romances intend to offset the science part. I hope the recommendations are addressed accordingly. Thanks for the insights and honest review.
Well, if that was the intention, it needs some improvement. Mercedes' love interest had potential but it should have lasted longer to make emotional impact on the reader.
Moray_001

Post by Moray_001 »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Feb 2021, 05:43 I understand your complaints: if I read science fiction or fantasy stories, I don't want to find cheap soap-opera-like elements. This novel has potential, but it's burdened by its flaws, so it needs more editing. Thank you for your honest review!
Yes the novel has potential. It just needs more organisation and editing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”