Official Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Official Review: The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races" by JDeVereS.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races by JDeVereS tells the story of "The Misfits," an Elfkin Warder team led by Garith de' Graoin. Garith, during one of his moon dances, discovers that the Acolytes in an alternate universe still terrorizes the other planets. He goes with his team to the Planetary Warder headquarters to outline their plans to defeat the Acolytes to Colonel Golf, the planetary leader. They also show him their recruit, a non-Ilfkin hominid named Dawn.

After much deliberation, Dawn is allowed to go on the mission. The council also enlists volunteers to aid the task and, at the last minute, assign a protector class warrior to the strike team. The mission will unveil some mysteries surrounding Dawn and the protector class warrior.

The book exposes the reader to planetary balance and defense. It also affords the reader the opportunity of seeing the never-ending struggle for supremacy between the forces of light and darkness, albeit from the author's unconventional perspective. In telling his story, the author allows his imagination to come into play, which keeps the reader intrigued. As a result, I find the story very entertaining, and I applaud the author's writing style.

JDeVereS created an interesting world for his characters. In this world, the rules remained unchanged, and when breached, the perpetrators would activate the wrath of a team of protectors. The story reads very much like DC Comics' Justice League. This made the book captivating and full of suspense. He added a touch of science to the blend of powers and magic, which helped to thicken the plot. He also added a lot of background information, which enabled me to understand the story better. My favorite aspect would be the background information, as I could always know why a particular scene was playing out in a specific way.

I loved the way he ended the story. The author gave the reader closure for the first part of his story while laying the foundation for a sequel. As a result, The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races could be read as a standalone book. Also, I loved the interaction between the members of the Warder team. They were a real family bonded together by love, respect, loyalty, and singleness of purpose. There was also a touch of romance to add extra spice to this captivating story. I found myself engrossed in the book.

Overall, I'll give the book 4 out of 4 stars. I found only two errors in the book, which led me to believe that it was professionally edited. There was nothing to dislike about the book. The author wrote a captivating story, and I'd readily recommend it to anyone interested in a fascinating, interplanetary tale.

The Elfkin Journals: Blending of the Races
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I love how you mentioned that the author ended the story but left the potential for a sequel. I believe that is very difficult to do and I applaud the author for that. The book does sound interesting as well. Thank you for your review.
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

Well, this one seems unique. The story seems riveting as well. Thanks for your insightful review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Revenant Gun
Bookshelf Size: 413
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by NetMassimo »

An unconventional perspective on a classic theme is certainly interesting for a story that seems intriguing and can be read as a standalone. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”