Official Review: A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 373
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: I Am My Hair by Barbara Hart

Official Review: A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics" by Thomas Hraynyk.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The government has an experimental military program to help those soldiers injured in combat. It's called the Artificial Military Prosthetics Division. When Chase's convoy is attacked, he becomes part of the program, gaining an artificial arm and leg. After getting up to speed, he and the other members of A.M.P.D. are sent on a mission to save the world from some very bad people. Unfortunately, things are not as they seem. Chase and his team are caught in the middle of a war bigger than they could imagine. Will they be able to save the day?

A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics by Thomas Hraynyk is a science fiction novel with more action than hard science. At only 150 pages, the book is a quick read. With some language, violence, and innuendos, this would be appropriate for older teens and adults.

The author does a good job of moving the story along quickly, leaving very little time for boredom. I enjoyed the nature of the story; Mr. Hraynyk has a good premise for a book. Unfortunately, the idea isn't fully realized, which leaves the reader feeling disappointed.

First, while the story is fast-paced, it is sometimes to the detriment of the character development. The author discusses characters not trusting others because of issues in the past, but these situations are never detailed. Furthermore, it's difficult to distinguish one character from another because they are never fleshed out. Even keeping track of each character's name was problematic simply because one blended into the next. If Mr. Hraynyk took a little more time with the backstory, the reader would be able to get involved more fully in the story, even if it made the book a little longer.

Another problem was the lack of editing. More than grammatical errors (though there were plenty of those as well), there were several instances of repetition. There were abbreviations used but never explained. I'm still not sure what "HGH" and "SWFA" are. The perspective changes abruptly in spots, and it took me reading through a couple of times to figure out what happened. Characters' thoughts aren't differentiated in any way. The actual grammatical errors were too numerous to count and consisted of missing or incorrect words, missing punctuation, and typographical errors.

There were also parts of the book that seemed unrealistic. It didn't seem to be the author requiring suspension of disbelief by the audience, but rather it seemed to be poor handling of situations. For instance, a soldier fires on the enemy. They start firing back, which catches him off guard. Did he expect them to stand and do nothing while he shot them all down?

Lastly, it's important to note that the story seems to merely stop. I wouldn't even call it a cliffhanger ending. Nothing is wrapped up, and it mentions that there's a part two coming.

To summarize, while I appreciated the idea behind the story, it's too raw to appeal to a mass audience. Thus, I rate A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics 1 out of 4 stars. With some professional editing and much better character development, this story could be great. As it is, I can't recommend it to anyone. I can't wait to see what the author makes of this in the future.

A.M.P.D Artificial Military Prosthetics
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
raluca_mihaila
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Passage
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by raluca_mihaila »

I am sorry that the book needs so much improvement, as the subject seemed promising. At least the editing part is very easy to fix. Great job with the review!
Sararob06
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sararob06.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Sararob06 »

It sounds like an interesting concept. Sorry that it fell short in so many ways.
Reviewer100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer100.html
Latest Review: Awakening the Soul of Power by Christian de la Huerta

Post by Reviewer100 »

I don't really read military books, especially the ones that has to do with wounded military men!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raluca_mihaila wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 04:31 I am sorry that the book needs so much improvement, as the subject seemed promising. At least the editing part is very easy to fix. Great job with the review!
I can tell it had potential. It just needed a little tweaking. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sararob06 wrote: 21 Jan 2021, 22:19 It sounds like an interesting concept. Sorry that it fell short in so many ways.
It is an interesting concept. It needs help.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Reviewer100 wrote: 22 Jan 2021, 02:18 I don't really read military books, especially the ones that has to do with wounded military men!
I understand. It's really not extremely focused on the military, but it's more experimental. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Seven Tiers by Mark Richards

Post by NetMassimo »

It looks like the author published a draft rather than a finished novel. A professional editor might help him with a proper development and proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NetMassimo wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 15:42 It looks like the author published a draft rather than a finished novel. A professional editor might help him with a proper development and proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Exactly. It's a good outline, but it needs more development. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
Mvictoria
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvictoria.html
Latest Review: Anchor by Abby Falls

Post by Mvictoria »

After reading your review, I think I will skip this book. I love character-driven plots and it sounds like this is really lacking in this work.
Latest Review: Anchor by Abby Falls
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

It is a shame about the state of this book. I will have to give this one a miss. Thanks for your honest review though.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Mvictoria wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 20:26 After reading your review, I think I will skip this book. I love character-driven plots and it sounds like this is really lacking in this work.
You're right. I wanted more development from the characters. Thanks.
-Louisa May Alcott
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Victoria Copsey wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 14:46 It is a shame about the state of this book. I will have to give this one a miss. Thanks for your honest review though.
I understand. Thanks for stopping by anyway.
-Louisa May Alcott
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your honesty. This book has an interesting concept, so it's too bad that it sounds underdeveloped with plot holes and illogical details.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Wrong Side of the Glass
Bookshelf Size: 331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Detective LB and Hopper: The Case of the Missing Chocolate Frogs by janey gaston

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It’s always interesting to read about experimental military programs targeted at helping wounded soldiers, but the errors, repetition, and odd handling of plot situations would definitely disrupt the reading flow. Sounds like the author has a solid start that could be further developed. Thanks for your thorough analysis! ☢️

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”