Review by jeanmtdb -- Timewise by Robert Leet

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jeanmtdb
Currently Reading: Devil in False Colors
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jeanmtdb -- Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by jeanmtdb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise, a work of science fiction that reads like real life. Ron Larson is an orphan who has no real ambition except to make money. He is interested in chess and later in poker, but only for the money it makes him. He also has an aptitude for mathematics. Regina Russo, a physics professor, takes an interest in Ron. Regina has an agenda that needs Ron, and so she pays for his college with some conditions. Each time they meet, Regina teaches Ron more of her theories about time. Ron meanders his way through relationships, learning more about himself and others along the way. Regina is a constant throughout it all. Regina and Ron build a time machine to see into the future. Robert Leet wraps a very human story around a very science-based plot. Secrecy and intrigue keep the reader engaged through very technical explanations of time and Regina’s theories. The author takes us through the relationships, successes, intrigue, and ambitions of the characters.

I liked the way the women in Ron’s life didn’t depend on him for their identities. They were strong women in their own right. With each new relationship, Ron learned something that helped him later on. Regina was the constant thread through it all. I especially enjoyed the plot twists that created problems and unusual solutions. The book ended a bit abruptly, but the author revisited each important character giving closure to their story.

My only criticism of this book is the very technical language to explain the scientific concepts of time travel. The science is necessary to the story and Mr. Leet uses plain language to help the reader understand the theories of time travel and the mechanisms of a time machine. The scientific portions of the book are not easy to read and take more concentration. Happily, the rest of the book is very engaging.

The characters are well-developed and relatable. The story, for the most part, is credible. The advances in science and technology could lead to time travel. Robert Leets writes for the typical average usual reader. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. There are some minor grammatical errors that didn't interfere with my enjoyment of this book. I feel that the author did admirably balancing science with the human element.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction with an emphasis on the “science” part. The book is unsuitable for the young reader. There are some mild profanity and some marginally erotic scenes. Anyone who objects to any profanity or not too explicit sexual scene would not enjoy this book.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”