Review by Maddie Atkinson -- We are Voulhire: Someone El...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maddie Atkinson
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Julia Chapman
Favorite Book: gender euphoria
Currently Reading: A Date with Justice
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maddie-atkinson.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis
fav_author_id: 84942

Review by Maddie Atkinson -- We are Voulhire: Someone El...

Post by Maddie Atkinson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After the events in Virko, Galen and his friends head to Voulhire capital, Soulhire. They have the intent to talk to the king about these events as the new eiodi won’t talk to them. At the same time that they are doing this, the king is trying to make the decision as to whether Voulhire should take refugees from the Land of Princes. This could end up with disastrous results with the now looming threat of the Emperor of Lullabies (the ruler of these islands). With Lord Meldorath at large again unbeknownst to the rest of Voulhire, the Riva Rohavi closing in and the mysterious nightynights appearing around the land, will Voulhire be able to stop these evils from winning? Or, will Galen and his friends get mixed up in it once again?

We Are Voulhire: Someone Else’s End is the third book in the series by Matthew Tysz. It is once again filled with fantastic descriptions that really capture the reader’s imagination and allow them to feel like they are actually there. I like that in this book, we get some more first-person perspectives that we did not previously get, as they usually all come from Galen. Getting to see some things from Rowan’s point of view and also getting to learn about some of his history made it easier to actually understand some of the actions of his character. I like that Tysz also allowed us to see what the Land of Princes is actually like for those who live there and what it was like for Galen, especially as we start to learn more about his background and why he is the way he is. One of my favourite things about this series is the way that the author writes about different narratives from different points of view which then eventually tie together as the book reaches its climax. Unlike the previous books, this one joins the narratives together a lot earlier than previously, which made it much more fast paced than the others. Due to this, I was unable to put the book down as the plot just kept on unravelling and unravelling, revealing more secrets and conspiracies that had not been previously addressed. There is a map at the beginning of the book that allows the reader to know what part of the land Galen and his friends are traveling to. The book also has a helpful dictionary at the end that helps the reader to understand the correct pronunciations for some of the native words of Voulhire.

As per usual, I have no negative points about this book. It can sometimes get confusing because Tysz sometimes refers to characters by their first name and also their second name but at different points in the book. This can make it difficult to catch on to who is talking at what point. However, this did not deter me at all, as it is easy to learn the names of the characters very quickly to understand who is being talked about. Therefore, I can find no faults to talk about.

I found next to no mistakes in the book which allows me to say that it has professionally and very well edited. I also thoroughly enjoyed it, if not more than the previous books in the series. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book, as with the others, to anyone who enjoys fantasy and adventure novels. I would consider it appropriate for anyone who is a young adult or older. It contains some rather prolific language and violent scenes, so it really wouldn’t be suitable for young children. Other than that, however, I could not recommend this book more highly and I am very much looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Thank you for the thorough review!
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Maddie Atkinson

MarianaFigueira wrote: 11 Jan 2021, 18:55 Thank you for the thorough review!
No problem! I am glad you enjoyed it!
"I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence" - Augustus Waters (The Fault in Our Stars)
LeighBee
Currently Reading: Mistborn
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leighbee.html
Latest Review: To Own Two Suns by F. E. Tabor

Post by LeighBee »

I thought exactly the same thing - the first two books were good enough to make me want to keep reading, but it really picked up with this novel and became a page-turner. I am still not sure how I feel about the different perspective shifts that Tysz uses. He is skilled at both first-person and 3rd-person perspectives, so it works. :)
Maddie Atkinson

LeighBee wrote: 19 Mar 2021, 15:16 I thought exactly the same thing - the first two books were good enough to make me want to keep reading, but it really picked up with this novel and became a page-turner. I am still not sure how I feel about the different perspective shifts that Tysz uses. He is skilled at both first-person and 3rd-person perspectives, so it works. :)
I LOVE the different perspectives! I think they are so clever. It can get difficult at some times with switching between characters and understanding which character is talking, but otherwise, I think it is incredibly clever!
Rayah Raouf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayah-raouf.html
Latest Review: The Heart of the World by Michael Tillotson

Post by Rayah Raouf »

I loved this book as well! I also love the different perspectives. I really appreciated how thorough you were. Thank you for the review!
Memories are dangerous things. You turn them over and over, until you know every touch and corner, but still you'll find an edge to cut you.― Mark Lawrence, Prince of Thorns
Maddie Atkinson

RayRuff wrote: 24 Mar 2021, 06:01 I loved this book as well! I also love the different perspectives. I really appreciated how thorough you were. Thank you for the review!
No problem! I am glad you enjoyed the book too (and my review!)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”