Official Review: Between Heaven and Hell by Brandon Davis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Official Review: Between Heaven and Hell by Brandon Davis

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Between Heaven and Hell" by Brandon Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Between Heaven and Hell by Brandon M. Davis is a thrilling science fiction story. The story begins when Daniel struggles to fall asleep because of the grisly nightmares that kept him up at night. In these dreams, he finds himself in hell, tortured, and taunted. At ten years old, Daniel was involved in a car accident in which he believes he died and went to hell. When he shares his convictions with his parents, they do not believe him. Fortunately, his psychiatrist believed him and referred him to a priest she felt was better equipped to help him.

The priest opened Daniel up to another world. There are three camps in this world; the human’s (Guardians) camp, the angel’s camp, and the demon’s camp. Daniel leads the Guardians in a war against demons and angels. Fighting against these powerful creatures would not be an easy feat for the guardians. However, they fought with all their might and left their hearts on the battlefields.

The book had a generous amount of characters that played vital leadership roles from all three camps. Distinguishing between these characters was difficult at first. Fortunately, the characters had distinct features, making it easy to tell them apart. For instance, Guardians had red blood, the angels had black blood, and the demons had green blood.

The book is suspenseful and filled with captivating scenes. From the introduction of the complex characters to the build-up, the scenes were well executed. From time to time, waves of astonishment swept me off, and the long-awaited climax did not disappoint. My only gripe with this part of the story was that it was a rather drawn-out experience. My sentiments could be because the camp I was supporting was receiving way more blows than I would have liked. The ending was well-paced until Daniel dropped a bomb on his family. This ending left me with more questions than answers.

This book contains substantial amounts of violent scenes and explicit details of injuries sustained by the characters. Although the book is based on biblical characters, it is also suitable for non-religious readers, as it does not delve into any specific religion. I highly recommend the book to readers who enjoy action and drama.

The book contains a significant number of typos and grammatical errors. As I was reading, I came numerous across profane words. However, considering the characters and the storyline, they were not out of place.

Given the errors mentioned above, I am deducting a star and awarding the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Between Heaven and Hell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your informative review. This sounds like an interesting sci-fi book that employs the concepts of angels and demons. I'm surprised to see that angels have black blood. Normally, this is assigned to demons.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I'm a big fan of science fiction, so I'll be adding this to my shelf. What Daniel is going through is quite horrible and, I hope he comes out safe. Thanks for the review.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

I love science fiction and this book interests me enough for me to want to read it. Thank you for the review.
Bookishkrish24
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishkrish24.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Bookishkrish24 »

Even the review gives me chills. I like the elements of suspense and, I have to read this book. Thanks for your eloquent review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging supernatural drama. I hope the author does another round of proofreading to avoid distractions while reading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

I'm certain that the book was engaging considering the theme of the book. I hope to get to read this someday.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Angels and demons, grisly nightmares, and hellacious torture scenarios?! What a deep and gritty plot. Thank you for sharing your thorough analysis!
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I was thinking that the angels had white blood, but the author had his reasons. The war must have been intense. I've always loved that aspect about the sci-fi books. Good job on the review.
KMGR70
Favorite Author: Jeff Menapace
Favorite Book: Bad Games
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmgr70.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 23616

Post by KMGR70 »

I'm a little confused on how the priest would open up this world and how a young boy was fighting angels and demons. It does seem pretty intense for anyone but particularly a young boy. Thanks for your review. I may have to read it to answer my questions.
Currently Reading:

Sou Hi wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 02:55 Thanks for your informative review. This sounds like an interesting sci-fi book that employs the concepts of angels and demons. I'm surprised to see that angels have black blood. Normally, this is assigned to demons.
I also expected demons to have black blood but maybe it is because the angels in this book were angels of death.
Currently Reading:

KMGR70 wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 18:21 I'm a little confused on how the priest would open up this world and how a young boy was fighting angels and demons. It does seem pretty intense for anyone but particularly a young boy. Thanks for your review. I may have to read it to answer my questions.
It was a harrowing experience for the little boy. As for the priest, let me just say he had traveled the same path.
Currently Reading:

Tarilan wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 13:41 I was thinking that the angels had white blood, but the author had his reasons. The war must have been intense. I've always loved that aspect about the sci-fi books. Good job on the review.
I was also taken aback by angels with black blood. But, this book is interesting and offers a somewhat different approach to the "norm".
Currently Reading:

AvidBibliophile wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 12:14 Angels and demons, grisly nightmares, and hellacious torture scenarios?! What a deep and gritty plot. Thank you for sharing your thorough analysis!
It was indeed a deep and intense plot but enjoyable. Thanks for reading the review!
Currently Reading:

Eutoc wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 08:20 I'm certain that the book was engaging considering the theme of the book. I hope to get to read this someday.
I hope you will get to read it. It was interesting. Thanks for reading the review Eutoc! Appreciated.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”