Review by Ndiviwe -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Review by Ndiviwe -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Ndiviwe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz is the third installment in the 'We are Voulhire' fantasy sci-fi series. After the catastrophic events that transpired in Virko, Galen and his friends depart to the capital of Voulhire, Soulhire, to seek an audience with the king in an attempt to save Virko from the clutches of the demons. The Emperor of Lullabies attacks Soulhire in settled determination to end the trial pertaining to Voulhire accepting refugees from the Land of the Princes. Galen witnessed first-hand that Voulhire isn’t as quintessential and invincible as he had thought. Voulhire’s adversaries have become stronger, and somewhat smarter and, they plan on conquering the Voulhirian kingdom one town at a time. Demetrius, Galen, and Rowan find themselves constantly on the run due to the pandemonium and destruction that seems to be following them to every city they have visited in Voulhire. They have their sights set on Chalethire and, I am interested to see what mayhem awaits them there, or will this be the break they have been searching for.

Much like the first two installments, this installment is written from multiple points of view with the addition of Rowan’s point of view. The shift between views is very clear not only in the segmentation of the book by the author, but there is also a change in tone and vocabulary between views, so the reader is never confused. In addition to Rowan’s point of view, we get a glimpse of Galen’s past experiences in the Land of the Princes and, how Rowan came to find him. Having a glance at Galen's past helps the reader explicitly understand Galen’s perspective of Voulhire and his personality and trait development. The author has done a fantastic job of keeping his writing style and word choice consistent in the book and, both work hand-in-hand to enhance the story-line and heighten the reader’s experience with the characters and their emotions.

The author did a commendable job in evolving and adding a new layer to the characters we already know and love, and weaving in new characters into the storyline. I have read every page of all three installments and, the characters never get boring. The dialogue between characters is very distinct and sometimes humorous, which helped lighten the mood. The characters are very realistic and individualistic, which makes it very easy to distinguish between the different characters and points of view. Galen is still my favorite character, he is developing into a fine young man and, I love how he is developing heroic qualities.

I love the thought-provoking nature of the book, which I think is brought about by the author's ability to build suspense and leave you thirsty for the next installment. Some instances such as the trial and the Emperor's attack on Soulhire and, Meldorath helping to save Soulhire blurred the lines between good and evil in this installment. I finished the book wondering what will happen in the next installment, when will this trio of friends ever catch a break and, will their efforts to save Voulhire ever be rewarded with victory. These are all worth pondering having followed the series from the beginning and witnessed all their short-comings.

Though I enjoyed the book immensely, I feel like the author takes too much time to build the story and reach the climax of the book. I noticed this in the previous installments as well, which leads me to the conclusion that this is Tysz’s style of layering the anticipation to build suspense. It does not make the book unpleasant to read, but it just becomes a bit much after a while. The book contains a minor level of profane content and violent fighting scenes, but that is just a part of the adventure of the story.

I rate We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz a four out of four stars because I found no spelling or grammatical errors and the writing was concise, clear, and very creative. The characters and storyline were developed superbly well, so the book deserved the maximum rating. I recommend the novel to readers who are committed to the 'We are Voulhire' series. The book is geared towards a young-adult audience who enjoy adventure sci-fi fantasy novels.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your throughout review. The questions you raise and the remarks you make are quite interesting themselves. I am also eager to see what will happen next. As I see, our trio's bad luck is quite worrisome.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for this very insightful review. I read and rated this book but I didn't rate it the full stars. But I am glad to hear different perspective on the very same thing we have read. I understand why you rated it full stars!

P.S. your name sounds South African, are you?
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Great job with the review! I also enjoyed the book very much, so I agree with you wholeheartedly! And keep on reading about Voulhire :)
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I’ve also read and reviewed this book. I had a good time reading this. Great review!
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ndiviwe »

Mtibza eM wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 02:47 Thank you for this very insightful review. I read and rated this book but I didn't rate it the full stars. But I am glad to hear different perspective on the very same thing we have read. I understand why you rated it full stars!

Yes I am South African.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Ndiviwe wrote: 25 Jan 2021, 14:56
Mtibza eM wrote: 19 Jan 2021, 02:47 Thank you for this very insightful review. I read and rated this book but I didn't rate it the full stars. But I am glad to hear different perspective on the very same thing we have read. I understand why you rated it full stars!

Yes I am South African.
Wow, me too! :D
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ndiviwe »

Mtibza eM wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 03:04

Yes I am South African.
I'm originally from the Eastern Cape but recently moved to Vereeneging, Gauteng. Where are you from?
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Mtibza eM »

Ndiviwe wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 11:12
Mtibza eM wrote: 26 Jan 2021, 03:04

Yes I am South African.
I'm originally from the Eastern Cape but recently moved to Vereeneging, Gauteng. Where are you from?
I am in Katlehong, East Rand, Gauteng, too. :D
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Beautiful review. I will say though, out of the three I´ve read, this one was my least favorite one.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Ndiviwe
Currently Reading:

Post by Ndiviwe »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 22:01 Beautiful review. I will say though, out of the three I´ve read, this one was my least favorite one.
Thank you for your honesty. Can you point out my short comings and
, tell me where I could improve and become a better reviewer.
Mariana Figueira
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Cloud Atlas
Bookshelf Size: 215
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana-figueira.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Mariana Figueira »

Ndiviwe wrote: 07 Feb 2021, 01:04
MarianaFigueira wrote: 01 Feb 2021, 22:01 Beautiful review. I will say though, out of the three I´ve read, this one was my least favorite one.
Thank you for your honesty. Can you point out my short comings and
, tell me where I could improve and become a better reviewer.
Sorry! No, I meant out the three books of the series. Your review was great
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”