Review by dyanikaayu -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dyanikaayu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanikaayu.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Review by dyanikaayu -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival u...

Post by dyanikaayu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One night, at Hillport, a city in the southern coast of Voulhire, a mage barged in to the lord’s castle. He killed the lord, claimed the castle and grand himself the lordship. At the other part of the world, Galen Bray, from the Lands of Princes, got away from his home by ship and went to Voulhire. Voulhire is a country as well as a kingdom, with Soulhire as its capital. In a more advanced knowledge country, he learnt more about the country and the world he lived in. Although the country is so advanced, it had its problem. Among these Voulhirians, there are people who have evil intentions to the world, those who seek power and destruction to the world, those whose ambitions will affect the country. What was the connection between Galen and Voulhire? What will become of Voulhire?

We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is an adult fantasy novel, the first book of the “We are Voulhire” series which consist of nine books. There is profanity as well as intense action sequences throughout the book and its language is not easy to comprehend, so I think it will be a hard reading for young people, as the author suggests that this book is intended for adults.

The book is told in the third-person perspective. The book’s writing is unique. It didn’t have any chapter, but it had several point of view beside Galen. While we had Galen’s point of view as an outsider of Voulhire, we also told what happened from the inside of Voulhire. The author did a great job building the world in detail, such as the scenery and environment of the cities in Voulhire, the history of a place like the Lands of Princes and the Graylands, and the festive scenery in Soulhire on the Feast and Human Hands day.

What I like the most is the adventure of Galen Bray, as someone from outside of Voulhire to discover and learn about the people and the city of Voulhire. I found that I was fascinating by how the author explained all the details in the important places in the kingdom, such as the environment and the history.

What I don’t like about this book is that there are too many point of views. Although another point of view beside Galen is meant to told the reader about Voulhire kingdom and Voulhirians people, I would rather read more about the adventure of Galen to discover and learn about Voulhire as what I am curious about is his role in this story.

In all, I enjoyed the book because of the quality of the story itself and the uniqueness in the writing style. This book has no typos or grammar mistakes, all well written. I can’t wait to read the next book and I rate We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies, by Matthew Tysz, with 4 out 4 stars. I recommend this book to readers who is a fan of adult fantasy and series books as this isn’t a book where you could just stop in the first book.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”