Review by Goral -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Goral
Currently Reading: Ikigai
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Goral -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under ...

Post by Goral »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies written by Matthew Tysz is a sci-fi fantasy novel, based on a prosperous kingdom called Voulhire, ruled by King Wilhelm. Galen Bray, a young man from The Land of Princes comes to Voulhire on inheriting his uncle’s property. He has known nothing but war since his childhood in The Land of Princes, and is happy to leave it behind and come to a new place. What awaits him in this new land? Will Lord Meldorath, an evil mage, rise to power again and destroy the peace in Voulhire?

This wonderfully written book presents the reader with a breathtaking story which revolves around many different spheres of life like politics, the economy of the kingdom, the life of the common people, etc.; and even talks about the link between the physical and the magical universes. It holds the reader enthralled from the start till the end. As this is the first book of the series, it provides an introduction to the world of Voulhire and creates the setting for a disaster which is about to hit the peaceful land. The book ends with a cliffhanger when Lord Meldorath, an evil mage previously thought to be dead by the people, rises to power again.

The book is divided into several chapters, each based on the point of view of various characters, ranging from King Wilhelm to Galen Bray. The reader might get a little confused initially, but as he proceeds through the book, he will start finding links between the different events which lead to the rising of Lord Meldorath.

One thing which I liked about the book is the writer’s way of unravelling the story step by step, gradually leading to the climax. This made it easy to understand and to relate to the events and the thoughts of different characters. The author also provided a glossary of the terms, concepts and names unique to the world of Voulhire at the end of the novel, which proved to be very helpful in understanding the story. There is nothing that I disliked about the book.

I would give We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies written by Matthew Tysz 4 out of 4 stars for the wonderful story that the author has presented. The book is professionally edited; I found no spelling mistakes or grammatical errors in it. I would recommend this book to fiction lovers as they will truly enjoy exploring a new world. One of my favourite quotes from this book is: “See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”