Review by Kevin Magoma -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kevin Magoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevin-magoma.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Kevin Magoma -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival...

Post by Kevin Magoma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Now that he has conquered the road on which he stands, he must decide in which direction he will go. This, my children, is Voulhire. And all of these wonderful places……all of these places and more await you in a land unique to all the nations of the world. This, my children, is the magnificent and terrifying kingdom of Voulhire." A speech said by the old man on the ship that kickstarts the novel.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies is the first book in the fantasy series by Matthew Tysz. The novel follows the path of our main character, Galen Bray. Galen, a young man from the Lands of the Princes in a lucky turn, is able to get away from his war torn hometown to inherit his uncle’s forge in Magnum Caelum in the kingdom of Voulhire. The novel follows through with Rowan, an executor, who embarks on an adventure with Galen to help him become a famous blacksmith just like his deceased uncle. It also follows Lord Meldorath, a source of nightmare for many, and Lord Eldus, a sign of hope for many.

One of the things I liked about this book was the map that guides you through Voulhire, showcasing the different geographical positions of the cities, rivers and mountains. I liked how the author used different perspectives, narrating the events from the characters viewpoint whilst showcasing the major figures around which the action revolved. I also liked how the book came together in the final chapters through a cliff-hanger which keeps you wanting to grab the next book.

Nevertheless, I commend the author on the use of vivid imagery. His descriptions made it feel immersive. Moreover, what I liked most about the book was its use of simple language which was easy to understand and flowed seamlessly.

Personally, I didn’t dislike the book at any point through my read. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I wouldn’t recommend the book to readers below 18 though, due to the swearing and sexual remarks. I would however, recommend the book to people intrigued by a plot filled with magic, conflict, suspense, drama, and action. The book is professionally edited since I found no grammatical or spelling errors.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”