Review by _khush_p -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
_khush_p
2021 Reading Goal: 20
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khush-p.html
Latest Review: Honesty is Key by Tayma Tameem

Review by _khush_p -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival und...

Post by _khush_p »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Written by Matthew Tysz, We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies is the first book in the series of nine. This masterpiece is a mixture of science-fiction and fantasy. The story is based on the great lands of Voulhire, a place full of wonder and mystery. The story starts with the introduction of Galen Bray, a young boy living in the Lands of the Princes. Being stuck in a warring nation, Galen didn’t think twice when he got the opportunity to move away from war. His destination, Magnum Caelum, situated in Voulhire, reveals a world beyond comprehension of young Galen. Nevertheless, he enters the kingdom of Voulhire with a heart full of pain and eyes full of wonderment and fascination, ready to leave his past behind and explore the new world.

Voulhire was different than other nations. It was full of magic, mystery, wonder and adventure. With a historical past, the kingdom was now in the hands of King Wilhelm, who brought the nation to tremendous heights of development and prosperity. But that didn’t mean that the Kingdom of Voulhire didn’t have any impediments. Among other hurdles, the Riva Rohavi was one of the biggest obstacles, aiming at Voulhire’s destruction with unknown intentions. But the destruction didn’t stop there. A particular city, called Hillport, seems to be the centre of suffering, especially at the hands of its past lords, Lord Orlin and Lord Meldorath. Why? Step in the world of Voulhire to find out.

Matthew Tysz has done an impeccable work with this book. I loved the way it was written, that was what pulled me in the first time. All the scenes are so beautifully worded that I could imagine them playing in front of my eyes. The plot is quite interesting, especially the way it talks about 3 different universes and their interconnections. The author has made use of some difficult terms, which he has very kindly explained in the end of the book. The story has a steady pace, which is helpful since the plot is a bit on the heavy side. Kudos to the author for choosing such a beautiful cover, an accurate representation of one of the scenes from the book. The book does contain decent amount of curse words, however, it is harmless in my opinion. No spelling or grammar errors were found by yours truly, which brings me to say that this book is professionally edited and proofread.

What I didn’t like about this book was how complicated all the names were. I had a hard time trying to pronounce them and eventually gave up. It almost felt like the story was going in no particular direction, but by the end of the book, I got the idea that the first instalment of this series is to introduce all the characters and build a backstory for the next in series books. This book is not for the weak hearted as it contains gory details of abuse and death. Some characters felt like they were brought into the story for no reason, though I hope the said characters do serve some purpose in the long run.

Considering all of the above points, I feel compelled to rate We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies a 4 out of 4 stars. Regardless of my personal opinions, this book is a masterpiece in terms of story, writing style, editing, pace, involvement of characters, and all the other things that makes a book perfect. I recommend this book to all fantasy lovers, especially those who don’t mind long books, because this is going to be a long, happening ride.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“See the good in everything, and the best of it will find you.”
- We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”