Review by Sue_neth_ak -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sue_neth_ak
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading: Wilderness Cry
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-neth-ak.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sue_neth_ak -- We are Voulhire: A New Arrival ...

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is the very first book in the We are Voulhire series. It is a work of fiction where the reader is taken on a thrilling journey through the author's imagination. In the book you will meet the starving poor, the happy drunkards, the insanely rich nobles, the powerful leaders and their loyal subjects, the rebels and the citizens who value peace, and above all you will meet the biomages. 

Meldorath, a wicked mage rose into power as the Lord of Hillport, a coastal village of Voulhire, terrifying the citizens and disregarding their lives. The king of Voulhire, Wilhelm Arcolo handles the situation and once again restores the lost peace after appointing Lord Eldus to reign over Hillport. As the question of the wicked mage Lord Meldorath's death lingers in the air the Voulhirian citizens go about their lives. 

Meanwhile Galen Bray, from the land of the Princes arrive to Voulhire with the intention of inheriting his late uncle's steel forge. The land of Princes where the poor starved to death and the rich were killed for power, Galen was a poor commoner who had wanted to leave the land as long as he had remembered, but he couldn't till the present. Though Voulhire had been a fresh start for Galen, did his journey really end there or was it about to start? That is for the readers to find out. 

What I like about the book was first of all Galen's name itself. It was fun to realise that the author had actually meant Galen as in 'a gallon of water'. I had enjoyed reading the different narratives throughout the book, which allowed the reader to clearly picture the simultaneous incidents happening, and helped the reader to figure out what led to what. The personality I had enjoyed the most was Lord Eldus with his wise and friendly nature. 

What I didn't like was mostly what the author had tried to portray as an abuse of power by the biomages. There was a scene where one old mage had made a female judge crap her pants and had made a woman involuntarily have an orgasm with his powers. Though these scenes were added to give the readers a clear picture of the powers the mages possessed, I found them to be rather offensive.

The book seemed to be professionally edited. Due to containing incidents of violence and sexual offence, I wouldn't recommend this book to a very young audience. It is suitable for those who are above eighteen, and for those who love mystery and adventure novels with a touch of fantasy. Once I weighed the pros against the cons, I would still give this book four out of four stars for it had been a gripping read. 

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MarianaFigueira
2021 Reading Goal: 200
Favorite Book: Tujunga
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marianafigueira.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by MarianaFigueira »

Thanks for the great review! I really liked it too
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson
Noelle770
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noelle770.html
Latest Review: The Tattered Black Book by Lexy Duck

Post by Noelle770 »

Excellent review! I feel like I wouldn't enjoy this book as much because of the violence and abuse you mentioned though
Sue_neth_ak

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

MarianaFigueira wrote: 25 Dec 2020, 20:23 Thanks for the great review! I really liked it too
Yey, thank you for taking time to read it! Yes, the book was a good read.
Sue_neth_ak

Post by Sue_neth_ak »

Noelle770 wrote: 26 Dec 2020, 07:58 Excellent review! I feel like I wouldn't enjoy this book as much because of the violence and abuse you mentioned though
Thank you so much for the complement. I see! Hope you'd soon find a book that calls out to you, to be read:)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”